Looking for Vikings

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Hi, I know there are 3 members from Norway.

I'd love to get in touch with any of you, interested in Viking history and culture.

Cristina

The north of GB among other places in Northern Europe also have Viking genes and some of the culture ... it will be interesting to see who has Viking connections here.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

My husband has ginger hair!! Would that be considered evidence of viking ancestry?

Enkoping, Sweden

What do you want to know Cristina,Sweden is viking area and you know me.I dont know about the hair I have heard that some of the aborigenese in australia has the same colour in the hair and I dont think that the vikings where so far from home but who knows.Many of the vikings who lived in sweden or what became sweden where in russia and have trade ways so far away as the black sea and turkey and some gone via greenland to a country called weinland nowadays called US.If the vikings coulnt sail all the way they pulled the ships ower land to connect with other lakes that they couldnt sail to.

Roger

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/vikings/

Here's a nice link.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Roger, it all started with history ; I love history and then I was mistified from the effort and talent that man (general term) put into Defending and Conquering.

The Vikings did have the necessity to perfect their technology in arms and armour making. They reached a high standard.

Researching this, I found out that for instance, in Trondheim, Norway there is a Blacksmith that is still making swords using the old ways and his name is Kasper Andresen ..... I would like to know more about this gentleman.

Is there anyone like that Norwegian blacksmith IN Sweden?

Their ships and their shipwrights know-how were also very advanced for their time, so they were not the barberic savages that history has branded them.

I am also looking for more articles about the theme.

Thanks
Cristina

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Mitjo, yes, that is a good link. Thanks.

Also National Geographic has good info and their info is very educative. Also, not long ago there was a good documentary about them in the National Geographic channel.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Scored 13 out of 21 in the Viking test ;)

Some of my ancestors have come from Southern Sweden, there has been a gypsy woman in the family too, but most of my ancestors are from all over Finland, some from the East, some from North-Western areas and the latest from South Western and Southern areas of Finland.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Evert, ancestry and Genealogy is so interesting. I love that side of learning too.

What is interesting in the area of ancestry is the New, Proven
Fact that the tree of man started in South Western Africa, in the Kalahari desert region.

Dr. Spencer Wells proved by DNA research that WE ALL come from the BUSHMAN peoples.

www.nationalgeographic.ca/features/journeyofman/

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/emerging/profiles/wells.html

Cristina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.