Tomato books...

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

In case you missed it, the Garden Bookworm is up and running, and so far, we've located a dozen books that are focused on tomato growing: http://gardenbookworm.com/advanced.php?author=&publisher=&category=57&search_text=&sorter=book_name&submit=Search

I hope everyone will take a few minutes to comment on your favorite books ;o)

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I hope everyone will take a few minutes to comment on your favorite books ;o)

Not me, not doing that for most of them in public. LOL

I will say that Lois Hole's book is almost all about Canadian ways of doing things and almost all about Canadian hybrids that aren't that much avialable in the states. Yes, I knew her thru SSE. She passed away last year.

And I can say a bit about Sheila Buff's book b/c I was asked to proof it before it was published.

I read a bit and refused to do so.

Anyone can find the possible usefulness of a book by going to Amazon and looking at the ranking of that book based on sales which is given where the ISBN # and all the data for the book is given, and that can give one a good idea of where it stands with a decent cross section of those who have bought a particular book and then suggested it to others.

There are also comments there fromindividuals about the various books which can both augment and complement whatever anyone writes as comments here at DG.

I like the first one you listed Terry, and find it useful in planning my garden with respect to seed starting, variety selection, etc. LOL

Carolyn, feeling somewhat silly/sated having just come back from a huge Chinese lunch and yet elated, b/c she made it back into the house without falling again on the ice. Sigh.

Not me, not doing that for most of them in public.

Ahhh, but you just did, more or less! A tummy full of Chinese food can lower one's inhibitions a bit, lolol. Not to mention the euphoric state one enters when one successfully navigates a slick sidewalk without incident ;o)

More seriously, I agree that a certain degree of usefulness can be inferred from the sales ranking - but not always. I've found some fairly obscure books that have been most helpful, and some best-sellers that were pretty worthless.

By way of explanation, the Bookworm is something that has been requested time and again by our members, and we decided the time was right to make it happen. I hope people enjoy using it, both for reading other's opinions and adding their own...

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Love that logo!

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

My favorite Tomato book is Let's Grow Tomatoes, by Dr. Jacob R. Mittleider. This really lays out how to grow tomatoes!

Jim

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link to the book site, Terry.
"I will say that Lois Hole's book is almost all about Canadian ways of doing things and almost all about Canadian hybrids that aren't that much avialable in the states. Yes, I knew her thru SSE. She passed away last year." ?!?!

I was shocked to see that Lois Hole, one of the best known and loved gardeners in Canada, had passed away. As far as I know, Mrs. Hole is the current Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, so I'm assuming she's still alive (despite the fact that she is now a politician.) Her husband Ted, however, did pass away last March.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

My mistake then.

Someone at another message board had said she had passed on and perhaps they meant to refer to her husband.

Or am I remembering that perhaps she was diagnosed with cancer last year?

It's all a bit murky right now, my memory no longer being perfect. (smile)

And yes, I was aware of her political position. I knew her, but very casually, before all of that happened.

Carolyn

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I am gonna bump this... I dont claim to be an expert but if you are interested in the Mittleider method (which is the basis for Jim Kennards recommended book "Lets Grow Tomatoes" which is excellent. I would love for you to participate in the thread in the vegitable gardening forum on the Mittleider Method.

Drew

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Lois Hole's Tomato Favorites: Share Lois's Tomato Facts & Folklore was the first book I ever read on tomato growing. It is still my favorite.

I have to admit that I really don't understand what Carolyn meant ("almost all about Canadian ways of doing things"). Maybe I am so close to Canada that I don't know the difference between the "Canadian" way and the Minnestota way. People often ask me if I a from Canada because of my North Country accent.

I thought it was filled with wonderful, practical, and useful knowledge. In fact, I also got another one of her books on trees too. It is also great.

A review of Lois' book would be great, JefeQuicktech - I think the thread's twists and turns kind of lost sight of the original request ;o)

Here's the list of 'mater books to make it easier: http://davesgarden.com/gbw/advanced.php?category=57&submit=Search and if you click on any author's name, you'll get a list of all the books in the Bookworm they've written or co-written.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I have to admit that I really don't understand what Carolyn meant ("almost all about Canadian ways of doing things"). Maybe I am so close to Canada that I don't know the difference between the "Canadian" way and the Minnestota way. People often ask me if I a from Canada because of my North Country accent.

Jefe,

I think it would be more accurate for me to say that most of the varieties she talked about were hybrid varieties not well known and/or sold in the US. That's what I remember most of all.

Other than that I'd have to review the book again to confirm my impressions of the book as not being that useful for the majority of US growers as compared with other books on tomatoes out there, and I'm not talking about my own book since mine is strictly about heirloom varieties.

And I no longer have the book so I can't do that.

She sent it to me without my asking for it and then **demanded** that I send her a copy of my book. A very forceful woman, as you know, who wouldn't have ended up in a political position of that magnitude if she weren't. (smile)

Carolyn

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Terry,

Book review posted at http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/625/. Thanks for the nudge.

Jefe

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the link, Terry! I added my 2 cents worth! LOL!

Good! I know it may seem like nagging sometimes, but when I see an opportunity to get in a plug for the Bookworm or Watchdog, I take the risk - the more ratings we all submit, the more helpful these features are to everyone.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm sure I speak for others when I say that I appreciate the nudge! I always forget to make comments.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.