ceanothus, California Lilac

Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

Anyone grow one of these? What can you tell me about it? Can cuttings be rooted?

thanks in advance!

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, there's a lot of different varieties. Groundcover and shrub types, mostly evergreen with at least one deciduous variety that I know of ('Marie Simon', although it will keep its leaves in a sheltered warm spot). Mostly blue or purple flowers, quite a spectacular show in spring, although 'Marie Simon' insists on being different with its pale pink blooms.

Never ever give them summer water after they are established. It's the fastest way to kill them. Extremely susceptible to crown rot, must have good drainage. Live 8-10 years and then usually die, although I have seen some shrub varieties hang on for well over a decade. Prefer sun, they get scraggly in shaded beds.

Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much for the info!

It sounds like they'd be a challange here, to say the least. We get summer rain. I have plenty of sun, though.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I have 4 varieties growing....two in full sun, one in partial shade, and one in almost full shade. They all seem to be thriving (and I water them all as needed) But than I don't have the humidity you all do....thank God :-)

RikerBear

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.