Gourd seed sources, and Planting questions.

southern, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi, I was wondering where I can get long necked dipper gourd seeds, as well as some others?

Also, when growing gourds on trellises, how far should I plant? Like 2 feet? Or what? Also, just how tall should I have my trellises? Would 6' be enough? Should I space the trellises out about 3' or should I go with 4'? Thanks! John

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi John,
There is a real good site that Chuck Abare runs regarding Purple Martins ( Birdhouses), he grows the gourds and he has a very detailed site and wonderful stuff. I will try to find it for you.. be back in a sec..

Looks like Chuck now only sells his plans and I couldn't find the site where he has the growing instructions. I did find tons of sites by typing in "growing gourds", there is a chat forum www.gourders.com that has alot of the expert growers on there that can give some help.. I have had lots of bad luck with my gourds..lol. the only thing I can tell you for sure is that if you use a trellis, make sure it is a metal one, and have some type of slings to hold the gourd up by tieing the slings onto the trellis, those gourds get really heavy. If you grow them on the ground you have no problems as far as the vine breaking. But, you do have to turn them occasionally so they don't mold or place leaves under them, and on the ground you can make sure they are turned up. The ones on trellises, get really nice round shapes.. Now for the Long Dipper gourd, I thing those don't need slings, I had a couple but they were eaten before they dried. Hope I have helped a little. Also, Walmart (on the internet) sells a book by Ginger Summit "Gourds in your Garden" that is very helpful in growing gourds.

John, I think I found it: http://home.earthlink.net/~chuckabare then scroll down and click on Gourdpage, on the left hand side there are several items that you can see (painting gourds) growing gourds, etc.. hope that helps..

This message was edited Feb 15, 2004 8:06 PM

This message was edited Feb 15, 2004 8:18 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

Another great site for learning to grow gourds:

http://turtlefeathers.com/text/natural-products/growing/planting.html

Gives lots of info on indoor growing and outdoor growing..

Crossville, TN

Gourd...I could never have grown a gourd with out the Ginger Summit book!! We bought it but our library has it too. She has some more bboks on painting gourds.

I have the regular sized Long Handled Dipper gourd seeds I will be glad to send to anyone that wants some...just email me. Mine were about 24" long, and did not have to be in a sling. Panty hose makes a good "sling" for the big gourds.

I am going to the Gourd Festival above Tucson this Saturday. It should be a lot of fun and give me a chance to see a lot of beautiful gourd art too.

http://www.wuertzfarm.com/

Mesilla Park, NM

roadrunner, I would love to get some long dipper gourd seeds from you. I have tons of Bottle, Med Bottle, mini-jewerly gourds seeds, birdhouse, and a couple of others that you can have also if you are interested.

roadrunner: sending you mail.. antoinette

I love the "Gourd's Prayer" on that site..

This message was edited Feb 19, 2004 9:22 PM

California, MD(Zone 7a)

Try this one and let me know if that's the ones you want. Take care.

Bob

http://www.siegers.com/shop/kind.asp?kind_id=HH

Mesilla Park, NM

I didn't know this but there is a store here on Dave's member stores, that sells gourd seeds..

Wuv'n Acres Grourden

you just click on the right in your menu box. It will take you to the member's stores, it is the last one.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

does anyone have dipper gourd seeds for trade any really like to get occupied can't do art just want to see things gorw.. thrive.. blessings Twyla

Crossville, TN

Hope43...Email me your address and I will get some in the mail to you...Jo

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi All,

It is too late to grow ornamental gourds here in zone 6, NW Virginia? I am new to this area, moved from CA.

thanks for any help.

Crossville, TN

BNL, it is too late this year as the growing season is too short to get them fully matured before frost. I will be glad to send you some seeds for next year....just email me and tell me what kind you'd like...and if I have them I will send them to you.

I love Winchester...such a nice place.

Jo

Crossville, TN

IF any of these people that wanted seeds and I didn't send them...email me again now that our Gourd Fourm is back up and running. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.