Any annuals that don't like acid environments?

Huntsville, AL(Zone 8a)

I live in woodlands and since my hydrangeas are blue and azeleas and rhodedendrons grow well here, I am sure we have at least somewhat acid soil conditions. I have never lived with those soil conditions before. In fact, for my last four years, I gardened in an alkaline area. ( I don't have any idea how to get a soil test here since I haven't seen them in the plant stores and we don't have USDA extension offices here and my French isn't that good). I am planning to plant annuals to brings some color to the mostly green gardens here. I looked in some of my plant books and have found a lists of plants that tolerate alkaline soils but no such lists of annuals. Does this mean that most do okay? What wouldn't?

Christina in Belgium

More plants will do well in slightly acid soil than alkaline, not many plants enjoy either extreme but will grow better in acid than alkaline.

You could try the Plants Database, you can use the advanced search for annuals which like acid soils there.

If you're growing annuals you could try planting them in a pot and sinking the whole pot into the ground for the season, that's one of the easiest ways around extreme pH soils but I should imagine you'd be fairly ok with most stuff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.