Is it Spring already?

Huntsville, AL(Zone 8a)

Since this is my first year here, I don't know about the seasons. I live in Belgium and here is what is happening.
Snowdrops are blooming everywhere and some crocuses are starting to bloom. Lots of new growth of the perennials. The birds have new songs that sound similar to spring mating songs in the USA. Yesterday I spied a pink tree blooming and also a small pink shrub. SInce I was in a car, and only had a glimpse, I didn't see what they were. Does Spring come this early here?

Christina in Belgium

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Yes, thst's spring! It's started here in the UK as well.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Noo.. it's still Winter. Don't beleive everything they tell you ;)

Of course it's spring! We have snowdrops and crocuses out here, rte daffies are in bud, and Mr Blackbrid has been inspecting the Viburnumin my garden again, with thoughts of nesting in it.

Of course it's spring! We have snowdrops and crocuses out here, the daffies are in bud, and Mr Blackbrid has been inspecting the Viburnum in my garden again, with thoughts of nesting in it.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

it is not officially spring until March 21st. There may be late winter plants flowering but dont be fooled it can still get very cold!!

Huntsville, AL(Zone 8a)

Well like I always tell my children when they ask when is summer (or any other season), I say there are at least three different ways to count the seasons. THe first is astronomical and that is indeed March 21st for spring. Then there is cultural. For example, in the US, summer begins on Memorial Weekend (weekend with last Monday in May) and ends with Labor Day (first Monday in September). THen the last, and most important for nature study and gardening is climatic season. So in areas with four seasons there can be much variation. In Virginia, Spring began in early March, in Chicago it was more like early April and in Georgia, it was more like February.

I don't know what you all mean as really cold. From where I have lived, it nevers gets really cold here. In Chicago we had temperatues down to -40C and it was quite common to have -26C a few times a winter.

Well, snowdrops and crocuses are spring flowers. It's certainly near the end of winter - though one of my friends I bumped into over lunch said they had snow where she was - just 10 miles from me. Yesterday was bitterly cold - right back to winter. Today has been mild again. I was looking out of the window and longing to be outside.

Chris

Thanks for the Chicago temperatures, it really puts our winters into perspective. Our island is very well protected but I suppose it's all what you are used to. Down here in the South, we had 16C temperatures the other day and people were swimming in the sea!

It's not Spring in my view, yes there are Crocus and Snowdrops flowering but it's their time of year to flower anyway. If the Foxgloves and May were in flower now, I'd be starting to worry ;)

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

LOL Evert
You're just too far north! ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.