RUBY MOON - Dolichos lablab - how long can you store seeds

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I have some RUBY MOON - Dolichos lablab seeds that was given to me a couple of years ago (it may have been a year old at that time).

Do you think they will still germinate? I don't have that many that I can test 10 or so. I think you would have to test at least that many to get a good estimate of the germaination rate?

Is there a chart anywhere that gives a general length of time various seeds can be stored?

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

From what I have learned, humidity and temperature are the important factors in storing seed.

If this is the purple hyacinth bean vine go for it. If they don't germinate there are plenty of us that could send you more for SASE.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I do think that I store my seeds well, so we'll see.

I have the purple hyacinth beans too, but these are a bit different.

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

I see they are different; but I do know that I have seen people on here that had mentioned Ruby Moon. Good luck; bet they will grow just fine.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much for your help TwinLakesChef.

County Roscommon, Ireland(Zone 8a)

Hi All
I've just acquired some purple hyacinth bean seeds and I'm not sure how to start them off. Do you soak them first and are they easy to grow?

Many thanks

Sue

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Tree climber please remember us in the fall if it makes it. i would love to have some of those seeds. It beautiful

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Prudence,

My experience with the purple hyacinth is that they are very easy to start. I've never started them inside, just planted them where I wanted them to grow.

For me, they don't start blooming until the end of summer, so it may be worth starting them a little earlier inside. I think I am going to try that .... I've read here at Dave's Garden, that pole beans transplant better if you start them in the deep cell seed trays or root trainers.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

DonnaB,

I will save seed and I'll definately remember all the friends at Dave's Garden first.

Ilsan, South Korea(Zone 6a)

Tree_Climber -

if your Ruby moon seeds don't make it, send me an email and I'll send you some more. I grew this variety last year, originally purchased from Johnny's seeds in Maine and they were gorgeous. They had a longer growing season requirement than the regular hyacinth bean vines I had grown in the past. In zone 6, I sowed the seeds direct outdoors in May and they didn't flower till late July, first week of August. I'm going to start them earlier indoors in peat pots this year so I can enjoy the flowers and pods a bit more. They reseed like crazy - I planted only a dozen seeds and harvested about 100 by the time frost hit them. I'm sure it would easily have been twice that amount if I had planted them earlier.

Elizabeth

Ilsan, South Korea(Zone 6a)

DonnaB - your Salvia seeds went out in the mail last week. LMK when you get them. If you'd like some Ruby moon, drop me a line and I'll send you some.

Elizabeth

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Pinkangel,

Thanks for the kind offer. Hopefully the seeds I have will germinate, I am going to start them inside .... not sure what date will be good, I need to look at a calendar.

Thanks for letting me know about your experience with them too.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If you'd like to try some without wasting them, just put them in a damp paper towel, inside a plastic bag and put them somewhere they will not get cold. They can be potted as soon as a small root emerges from the seed. I've never found them horribly picky, but remember they are a bean and take care when transplanting. I start mine indoors every year. Hope this helps someone.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Badseed,

I think I will do it that way and then use deep cell trays for the ones that germinate.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

What a timely forum.....I just recieved my first purple hyacinth beans and was wondering when and how to start the little guys......and now I know :-)
Thanks for all the info

RikerBear

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.