shrubs and trees and vines?

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

I read somewhere that cuttings of these types of woody plants etc are usually taken(softwood) June 1 to end of August. Would someone out there who is a serious propagator please tell us what kinds of things really root well from softwood cuttings this time of year that can commonly be found Am in zone 5 and the azalea=rhodies=dogwood= etc are finishing blooming now. Also evergreens?

Franktown, CO(Zone 5a)

Softwood cuttings of weigela, forsythia, mock orange, flowering almond, rose of sharon, & honeysuckle can all be taken now. Keep moist and if you don't have a mister, put a plastic bag over the cuttings to keep them humid. Watch for rot.

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Deanne

Corner Brook, NL(Zone 5a)

I have an old rhododendrum that was planted in the early 50's, is there any way I can start a few new plants? This one has seen better days and nights.

FSH, TX

As a general rule of thumb, when trying to propagate green cuttings of vines...I don't do it if I am not sure and its my only one as rot can set in quick or the cutting can fail to root. What I do instead is to simply run a green runner through a hole in a pot, fill the pot with potting soil. Leave a few nodes below the soil. These nodes will generally form offshoots that will come to the top of the soil and root on their own so one can divide them or leave them be and let them share a 2-3 root systems. There is less chance of rot this way as well as no cuts are made. Some vines take 2-3 months to root from hardwood cuttings or green cuttings. Some vines can be propagated from green or hardwood cuttings. Green air layered vines typically grow faster than hardwood cuttings in my experience. Hardwood cuttings with a green node or two below the surface can send up fresh green runners that take off and go like mad of course though. Rooting green or rooting hardwood, it is my experience that if you can get a green part in the ground or close enough to the ground to cover it with soil the green part generally grows much faster than the hardwood part that is rooted. Rooting it this way also does not expose the a cut end and saves a heap on plants that rot easily.
Food for thought,
Brugmansia

Corner Brook, NL(Zone 5a)

I found a cracked branch of the rhododendrum, so, I read that the bark from a willow tree,crushed, soaked for 24 hours might work. The rhodo was ready to bloom, and the branch wouldn't stay tied and leaning on the board - the flowers were too heavy-they're as big or bigger than a saucer. So, I decided to try. Either way, there was little I could to to save the branch. I managed to get seven somewhat hard/soft wood cuttings, soft/green is better.HELP.
ALL, the flower buds are blooming! What can I feed them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.