sandy and shady grow what?

Murchison, TX(Zone 8b)

My new backyard is sahady and pretty sandy. what can i grow here? i want the back yard to be natural looking, no beds really but i do have a trail i can plant stuff along side it. and stuff around trees. Any other idea's. I will borrow moms camera and try to take a picture so you can see this huge task i have before me, as there are alot of vines to be cleared out.Would appreciate and idea's

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Although I do have beds. My soil is 100% sand. I grow many shade lovers. I do admit they don't do as well for me in my sandy soil as when I had a clay based soil. I do ammend my soil with compost, but it seems to be sucked into the sand. Sometimes it's VERY frustrating.

Here is a overview of the back area taken early spring 2003

This message was edited Feb 15, 2004 10:50 AM

Thumbnail by datdog
Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is a close up of a bed taken LATE summer.

In this bed I have ferns, hostas, hydrangeas, many different ground covers, and some annuals. I also have a few other odds and ends.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2004 10:53 AM

Thumbnail by datdog
Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is another one from late summer. This was my catch all bed. Not much design going on here.

Thumbnail by datdog
Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Late spring- This bed looked beautiful this time of the year. Later in the summer it looks pretty raggy. The tree above sucks all the moisture out of the soil. It also has a very invasie root system. Thinking of taking it out and replacing it.

Thumbnail by datdog
Murchison, TX(Zone 8b)

How pretty--- So it can be done. Good. I will gradually build it up with added stuff. The roses, lillies and other bulbs i have planted seem to be doing good so far.

Villas, NJ(Zone 6a)

Datdog, your garden is beautiful. I live outside Cape May---very sandy soil---you have given me a lot of choices for shady areas--thank you

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Ajuga should work. It likes dry shade

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

beautiful beautiful - please tell me if that whole area is fenced in to keep the deer out.....
i heard a lecture at the philly flower show - you're very lucky you have sandy soil as long as you give your plants plenty of water. we're unlucky here in eastern PA with clay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.