Swiss Chard, Seakale Beet 'Bright Lights' (Beta vulgaris)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Swiss Chard, Seakale Beet 'Bright Lights'
Beta vulgaris

Swiss chard 'Bright Lights' is so beautiful I planted it in my front flowerbed. Shown here before I planted it. (San Antonio, Tx.)

Thumbnail by htop
Blossom, TX

How long did this grow for you in SA ? I live in NE TX and just found this in the local Lowes in gallon pots. I also bought seeds last fall to sow this spring. I don't know if the heat will destroy this or not. Read a post that it will grow for us for up to two years. They must not know the heat and humidity. Thought you might be able to shed light on it..

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

patnjbob, I bought mine at Lowe's also and planted it about a month ago. I thought that they really needed to be planted much earlier because I assumed that they were a cool weather plant. I have no idea how long it will take our heat. As far as I know, I don't think they will be able to withstand it for very long. I have not researched this at all, but I will and I'll let you know what I discover. Boy, it would be great if they lasted 2 years !

Blossom, TX

We don't have a Lowes around us so a new one opened about three weeks ago..course I'll drive 50 miles to look at plants.:) I wish I had saved the post on the Swiss Chard. In Tyler there is a wonderful Rose Garden, and the men's club there used it to line the beds last summer. It was one gorgeous site. I'm trying to let everyone know about the possibilities with the Bright Lites..If you find out any info, then maybe we can share.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

It is a slightly different climate here in San Antonio from your neck of the woods. I believe they may be able to withstand the heat better there. I'll sure let you know what I find out. My ornamental cabbage lasted 2 years, but looked really bad in the summer. It rebounded the next fall and winter then died the following summer.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I sow mine from seed in the blazing sun. The last Bright Lights that I planted lasted about 18 months before it bolted.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the information. I am hoping mine will do that well. When do you plant them from seed?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Truthfully, anytime the current plants look ready to bolt. I am in no-winter-land here. In 9b, I planted in Feb. When I lived in an apartment, I kept them in a container. They make a pretty container plant with a nasturtium or two. Use the flowers for garnish.

Now I have lettuce and chard as edging for the flowerbeds. Once the chard has a decent tuber, you can transplant them easily. They only droop acouple of days.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I bet they do look great in a container with nasturtiums. Edging the flowerbeds with lettuce and chard is a super idea. I have very few full sun areas now that my trees are so large. That's why I planted them in my front yard in one little bed that receives enough sun for them to do well. I'm thinking of sticking some other veggies in there too. I'd be really happy if I could keep the neighbors' cats and dogs out of the bed. Thanks again.

Blossom, TX

That's some good info on the chard. We are in 7B but still gets super hot, like San Antonio. Maybe we will find something that is worth the effort to seed each year. I do know it's a beauty in the borders.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

patnjbob, I have been searching for more information about these plants, but haven't found any about their heat tolerance. Frogsrus has given us the best information. Mine are doing great so far, but we haven't had much sun lately. When we do for a couple of days, they look like they grow3 or 4 inches. How are yours doing?

Blossom, TX

Htop

I am keeping the outer leaves cut from the chard, so far, so good. All the plants look super good. I think next, I'll seed some and see what happens with those..maybe in an area that will get evening shade. I have one bed out my kitchen window and put the chard in that bed then seeded last week with spinach for a full salad bed..now the spinach is coming up. Should be interesting for sure.
Keep me posted on your plants.
I'm wondering how zone 9B could keep flowering cabbage from bolting for that long..that's a good trick for sure. I already have some bolting and it's not hit but 80 maybe twice in the past two weeks.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

My husband started some from seed and they are already about 3 inches tall and looking really good. They germinated very quickly. These are our standby plants if the others bolt which none have done so far. For March, it has been rather cool here. Mine are doing great so far. Planting spinach in with them would make a good combination, I was just reading on a site referring to the Austin area that spinach should be started in January which i find to be a little early early for your area. A gentleman in south Texas states that he planted his 'Bright Lights' in a bed under a retama tree. When the tree leafed out it provded the plants protection from the scorching heat, but let enough light through to allow the plants to grow properly. From the west, they were protected by a pecan tree. It is great that we can share our experiences with the chard and compare notes. We'll cross our fingers and hope for the best. Thanks for your comments.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Update: My Swiss Chard, Seakale Beet 'Bright Lights' lagged for a little while probably because I had quadruple open heart surgery at the end of June and could not water them for quite some time. My husband kept forgetting to give them a drink now and then during the hottest part of the summer. I do have to say that he kept everything else going and now has become a plant addict like me. One did die, but the others are springing back to life now that the weather is cooler.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Htop, glad that your plants are doing well and especially that YOU are after surgery.
I have only one plant left, so it is time for me to plant again. I think I will put them in the new flowerbed for foliage until the perennials get some size there. Perhaps I will take a page out of your book and put them out front. I have an area infront of some artemesia where chard would look great- all that color against the grey.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks. The chard would spice up the area with the artemesia for sure. Originally, I had planned on using the chard in the front flowerbed only until the hot weather appeared because I thought they would just wilt away in the heat. I am surprised that they actually have made it this far and are as heat tolerant as promoted. Thanks for your reply.

Greenfield, MA(Zone 5b)

Rainbow Chard purchased at Lowes is most likely NOT Bright Lights. There are many rainbow chards out there, but Johnny's Select Seeds are the breeders of Bright Lights. Unless you're getting seed from them, it's probably a different mix. Johnny's breeding technique allows for more color variations then the other varieties.
David

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

As I recall, the tag on the container I purchased stated that the plants were 'Bright Lights'. I either have the tag somewhere or it was stuck to the side of the container. Thanks for the information.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.