tobacco as a pesticide?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Now that I see this forum I'll ask about the tobacco. How toxic is it as a pesticide? Would it kill ladybugs if it was sprayed on aphids?

Lorain, OH(Zone 5b)

You really have to be careful with tabacco, it can cause Tabacco Mosaic Virus, I find it more harmful than helpful. Personally I prefer to use a soap spray on aphids and I have purchased ladybugs, they eat aphids.

New Paris, OH

Tobacco is not an accepted pesticide for certifed organic growing as it is considered too toxic.

It is a broad spectrum 'cide which means it kills everything it touches, including ladybugs and as Michele mentioned it can spread TMV to your plants

If you wait a few days the ladybugs, green lacewings, hummingbirds etc will show up and get rid of your problem. The plants can stand to lose 70% of their foliage without harm or less production.
If you use any pesticide the beneficial will not visit your garden and you will be forced to use poisons such as pyrethrum, rotenone or tobacco all of which do about the same harm to beneficial insects as any petroleum based 'cide.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Hmmmm if tobacco is that deadly maybe it would kill off poison oak and brambles! Round up is expensive and I am not convinced it is safe to use anyway. Especially since we use well water here! What do you think...is it worth a try or is it only deadly to bugs and not to plants?

This message was edited Wednesday, Jun 13th 7:16 AM

New Paris, OH

Zanymouse,

do not confuse pesticides with herbicides. What kills insects usually doesn't hurt plants

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

http://www.organicgardening.com/watchdog/pesticides_roundup.html

you may want to check here for info regarding Round -Up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.