Cup and Saucer Vines

(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have a good source for Cup and Saucer vines? I wish to purchase a plant that is big enough to bloom the first year, the last time I purchased a small one it died.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

if you cant find a plant, home depot has some seeds right now.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2004 7:44 PM

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Kit,

i guess u got to start seeds indoors? http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/vines/cup_and_saucer_vine.html , http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/1356/1

sorry could not find seller online.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

the trick to keeping the vine and the wonderment of good bloom..I have found, is to start the seeds in Jan or Feb. E.

(Zone 5a)

Art you've got mail.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the information MaVie, I am sorry I didn't say so earlier, wasn't trying to ignore you dawling there lol.
I would really rather have the plants because I don't have the room to grow them indoors until spring.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

no problem Kit :). i tried all the nurseries i knew that sells vines. no luck whatsoever.

the only choice would be to plant some seeds. sorry :(.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Windsurffer, I have grown cup and saucer vines (Cobaea scandens) on my chimney for several years. As they are annuals, they do bloom late in the summer/early fall. Mine have grown 20 ft. plus and can handle a light frost.

I would suggest that you start these from seed inside about 6 weeks before your last frost. I always direct sow mine, but I probably have a slightly longer growing season than you do. Nat

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Here is a place that sells plants for $2. There is a minimum $10 order. She has a Daves logo on her site. My kind of gal.

http://www.tsflowers.com/html2/campanula_cup.saucers.html

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good site, but it indicated that they are not taking orders at this time.

Ilsan, South Korea(Zone 6a)

Have you tried select seeds? They've got excellent plants and high germination rates on their seeds. Here's a link for the plants:

http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0537.2.7069472533019483349

(Zone 5a)

Nathalyn I don't have the room indoors to start the seeds. Every table I have is full of teneder plants that I had to bring inside plus a few rose cutting, and veggie seeds I planted.

Brugie thank you so much ((((BIG HUGS))))

Pinkangel I will look and see, keep your fingers crossed and thanks :}
They do have them and the white ones as well.....doing my happy dance, I am just tooooooo happy.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2004 5:19 PM

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I hear you Windsurffer on not having room! I am having to grow things in shifts - -start them under lights, then repot and move them to the garage, then move them outside under cold frames when weather permits.

Good luck on finding these as plants. I like both the purple and the green mixed together. And it is one of the few vines that does well in both shade or sun.

(Zone 5a)

I have full sun from sun-up to sun-down except the little spot that our small shed provides and it's all planted.
I did find the plants thanks to Brugie and Pinkangel they really helped a lot and I can't thank them enough.
I have the bad luck of not being able to find anything when I am looking for it but if I am just browsing the internet I seem to find everything.....go figure.

My little shed has my Angel Face Rose and Lemon grass in it so I don't have the room to put anything else in it, beside it's too cold out to start seeds or store tender plants in it.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Do they do well and bloom in serious north facing shade nat?

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Angie, I had them growing where they only received some morning sun. They did bloom, but I suspect that they would bloom more with more sun. But they grow really quick once the weather warms up and make a good "cover" vine.

The blooms are very interesting and not like anything else I have seen.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

cool, thanks :)

Wind; I could start growing them from seed for you here now at my house, and once they start growing, I could send them to you. In fact, I think I may just have some seeds here somewhere. LMK through email, as it will be a few days before I will get back to DG.
Will go check to see if I have any seeds and if not, will buy a package when I go to Home Depot this weekend.

Was wondering tho just how well do they transplant?

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

CoCo, I planted some in peat pellets (Jiffy pellets http://dansgardenshop.com/peatpellets.html that can be purchased at Walmart or Lowes) and then transplanted them outside without any problems.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks CoCo and I will trade you one of my plants for it, u've got mail.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

my first try with seeds this year....only a few have not done anything....i started mine on january 11th...i was about to give up, then up they popped...i will get a pic tomorrow...i gotta delete some pics on my camera....i sure hope mine do ok, i wanna be able to share...:)

cindy

(Zone 5a)

Good luck with your plants and I can't wait to see your photos, it is so kind of you to want to share with others.

CoCo you really touch my heart as always your just one of the best. I have a little surprise for you as well and I know you'll love it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.