wonrg label!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

i already posted on the id forum, but i wanted ya'lls opinion too. I bought this plant at my university's plant sale, you'd THINK they could label it right. But it said sedum. which i doubted, and have been told it isn't. kalanchoe is what dave said on the id forum, and after that lead i think i've narrowed it down to kalanchoe pumila. but there are still som differences in appearance. what do you think?

Thumbnail by art_n_garden

front view

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

that doesn't ook like sedum or kalanchoe to me but more like a jade plant. Look for jades and compare the leaves.

Valley Village, CA

I'm pretty sure you're right, it's not pumila. Isn't K.pumila, pruinose, slight pink gray in colour, having pink flowers and hangs down over the pot? And the leaves woild be smaller. I also doesn't look any of myh 22 varieties of Jade. I do think the poor thing needs more sun. It's really hard to get a true picture of what the plant is if not grown properly. The flowers would tell us immediately. Leaves are for the birds. The nodes of Crassula ovta are spaced more closely, and should have some red color on the borders. Norma

Valley Village, CA

'Jades' don't have jagged edges, (borders) It is probably a hybrid, wait for the flowers, which is certainly getting to late in the season. This plant needs more sun, then get back to me. I really want to know as well. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I was looking at the notches on the tips of the leaves, it could also be..............................................

Thank goodness I live in Calif. so I won't get shot.
But take a look at the leaves of Sedum telephium. Should be starting new shoots at the base of the plant now.
Wait for the flowers that will tell you what it is. This species flowers late in the year.

Kalanche most are in flower now. Sedum when it gets hot. How big are the leaves on your plant, has it been growing in the shade. Your plant looks as it it has large leaves, is this right? with dark green leaves, are they thick? And don't forget it still could be a garden hyibrid, and if you know where it was purchased that will also give me a glue. Norma

per Norma's request. some more pics. by the way- i can spell the word "wrong" haha :)

new growth

sure enough, a new shoot at the base of the plant.

Valley Village, CA

Thanks, I still don't know if I'm on the right trail. It's not Aeonium or Sempervivium, It's not a Crassula. The Sedum that I suggested, usually has the leaves going up towards the light, with a vein going straight down the middle which show lighter. Was it grown in the shade? Greenhouse grown? This could make a big difference. Don't be afraid to plant it out. I grew mine in a gallon pot for a year before I planted it in the ground. I still have one in the pot. Let me know what you decide what it actually is. Thanks Norma

When I bought it, it was in a greenhouse, and I assume thats where it was grown its whole life. She said it had been propagated from the parent plant a lot, which I will also assume was all done in the biology greenhouse. So the leaves could be droppy like that due to these conditions. Its in my sunniest (only) window right now, I'll put it outside when there is no more freezing. thank you norma :)

Valley Village, CA

I have heard, I live in So. Cal. we have never had a freez, that it would return from the roots in the spring. This species S. telephilum is a old world species coming from Europe? Asia? New Word No.America or So. America
I want all of you I did not know right away what it could be but botherd me all day, so while sitting...........

I realized what it could be but needed to look it up, guessing what other species it might be,.................

I went to the Sedum book and there it was. Again I have not seen the flowers. It should be a big round mass of tiny flowers that will attract butterflies. Much like Crassula perfoliata, v. falcata. I just betcha that they will be a red/pin/orange color. I hope I got lucky, now no remarks, hehehe I am 72 but and have gray hair, but I do have something between the ears and under the gray hair.
My best to you all, in this growing new year. Norma

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

my mistake! I went back and took a second glance at it and it does appear to be a kolanchoe.

Valley Village, CA

My guess is not written in stone. I'm still not sure. I could be right, but then I again I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.
It will flower in August -Oct. the flowers last a long time. His plant should have new starts coming up from the base of the plant.
Taking cuttings to make new plants will be easy, and can be started by taking out the new growth one at a time, you may also want to take stem cutting just below the nodes, or leaves on top of the soil. I would try it all three ways, the fourth being just devide the roots.

I have mine growing in our hot western sun, and it does just fine. Norma

so what is the name you've decided on?

Valley Village, CA

Sedum telephilum ? When you get flower, then we will know, if the color comes over the net correctly. There is probably at leas 10 hybrids of this plant. All named. All lovely. All flower in Autumnl. I hope it is 'Vera James' Norma

alright, i'll let you know when it flowers! im excited we (you) got it :)

Valley Village, CA

I am still not sure, it's not written stone. I'm never sure until I see the flowers. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.