Vegetable Seeds...

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hello all, I'm about to order some seeds in the next few days, and I was wondering, where to order them from? I have the Thompson & Morgan catalogue, as well as the Gurney's, and Henry Field's, any suggestions, or luck, or not so good luck from these catalogues? Thanx, and have a great weekend!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I order most of my veggie seeds from one or two places, and rotate my orders among Baker Creek, Johnny's Select Seeds, Pinetree (great for smaller quantities), Park Seed, and a few specialty growers - Marianna's Seeds and (this year) Tomato Growers Supply.

I've never ordered from T&M, but I know some people have had problems with their prices and the quality (germination problems.)

If you haven't check out the Garden Watchdog I highly recommend it - not only can you get the scoop on what others think about particular companies, you can also browse around for new places to try (or at least get a catalog to check them out.)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I did the T&M thing several years ago...pricey for sure. seems like they are offering more and more hybrids too.

Johnny's offers quite a few hybrids, but they seem to have been selected for a good reason. you can tell some thought went into the process.

I like Baker Creek, Johnny's, Pinetree and Park also. SSE offers a retail catalog and although I've never ordered from the retail end, it looks great.

What type of veggies do you have in mind? Something unique, or just some good varieties?

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Terry and Melody, thanx for the insight, or better yet, hello. I'm new to the web-site as I am gardening. I have a small garden, about 25-30 places in my garden, and I also do about 5-8 containers. The containers are all 5 gallon, and I do a mixture of tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant in them as well as my garden. I do one row of herbs, flat leaf italian parsley, basil, and fiscal celery. My dilema is that I usually put my veggies in around a week or so after Mother's Day, or the latter part of May, so I don't know when to start germinating my seeds. I hear 6-8 weeks before the last frost, maybe 10 weeks with some tomatoes, and when is the last frost in Jersey, your guess and mine is as good as Sam Champion's(Weather man on my local news station, Channel 7), and he pulls in about a quarter million a year, go figure, LOL. So all the info is needed and appreciated. It's still in the single digits here in Jersey, so I just purchased a seed starting kit with grow lights and stand, as well as a water reservoir, and 5 trays and domes. Do you think I should invest in a soil thermometer, and if you know about these transplant bags, they're similar to a paper bag with a honey-combed like texture with no bottom, about 4" by 3" and a plate where you can lay them out, so there is no or little shock at the time I intend on putting them in my garden outside, maybe they could give me an extra week or two if I need it? I'm sorry to be such a pain in the dair-e-air, but there is so much I want to learn. And if you have any suggestions on what's a good mulch to use around my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant, that would be fantastic. Have a great weekend, Terry and Melody, and all at DG.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy Dan. And a big hearty Welcome to DG!

"Last frost" is just a guestimate, usually. I bet if you did a search for Jersey Ag office or similar their site would let you know the date/range of dates.

I agree on all the above-mentioned seed sites. (I'm not super big on Gurney's and have shied away from them over the years but that was mainly when I ordered plants/trees/etc from them. They were usually just small sticks! I suppose their seeds should pose no problem tho.)

As for maters, peppers, eggplant and mulch...first, don't be too early on the mulch, no matter what kind you choose. All those plants love warm feet! If you mulch too early the mulch blocks the sun from warming the ground up. Let it warm good, then mulch if you choose. (You have choices ranging from plastic to leaves/straw, bark, etc.)

I've never used the honey-comb thingies you've mentioned.

As for being a pain? Hah! No such thing around here when asking questions! Come on in! Have a seat! Make yourself at home!

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

HPDan. Hi, and welcome to DG.

I order just about all my seeds frome Pinetree Garden Seeds. The quantities are geared for the home gardener. 'Course I always do the odd impulse seed buying at WalMart or Dollar General(10 cent seed packets).

Different seeds should be started at different times, ie. broccoli at 10 to 12 weeks before last frost, tomatoes 6 weeks before and so on. A great book that has all this info,and more, is Square Foot Gardening. I don't recall the author. You might find it at the library. I know you can find it on line.

I saw those honycomb things at Gardeners Supply. They look neat, one of these days I'd like to try them. Please report on your experience with them, if you don't mind.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Start your transplants about 6 to 8 weeks before you plant out. Tomatoes need less time than peppers and eggplants.

Peppers and eggplants need another couple of weeks. They germinate slower and need a little extra warmth on the plant out end. I'll be starting peppers this weekend.

Every county has an Extension Office. Check with yours and they will have information on your last frost date.That doesn't mean it absolutely can't frost after that date, but the percentage of it doing so is very small.

If you are starting from seed for the first time, remember not to overwater or over feed. Tiny seedlings have very little root system. They physically can't take up large amounts of water. The medium should be slightly moist but not wet. When you put the clear domes over your trays, there should be a slight mist on the lids only. If you have water drops, then you have your mix too wet.

As for food, don't. Everything your young plants need is enclosed right in the seed. Food promotes top growth at the expense of a good root system. When you make or buy seed starting mix don't get the stuff with the food mixed in. You are paying for something that you don't need. A 1/2 strength solution after they get 2 sets of true leaves should be sufficient till you set them out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.