succulent id request

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know what this might be? It's now about 5" tall, with wide flat "trunks" topped with leaves.

Thumbnail by Keyring
DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Here's another view from the top.

Thumbnail by Keyring
Valley Village, CA

Looks like it could be a nice pot of Echevieria 'Perle-von Nurnberg' It should turn a little lilac if I right. With some good sun. It this plant potted and getting low light? Very nice picture and very nice plant. It's crested, and looks to be a very large specimen. Be sure to take all dead leafs off underneath. Norma

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Norma. An echeveria, huh? Wouldn't have guessed. The pics I have seen of Perle von Nurnberg are not crested - is there a cristate form as well? Now that I know to look for an echeveria, I came across atropurpurea (aka sanguinea) which also looks very close. Mine is a good pink blush - I assume it's not getting quite enough sun in DC in winter.

Valley Village, CA

You could also cut back on water this time of year. Yes, there are two forms, plain, and crested. Echevieria crest easily. Don't let it get too top heavy, that is why I say cut back on the water this time of year. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I have found after growing plants for over 60 years that most succulents will have a crested form, many times this is due to damage on the crown of the plant. Bugs, virus, accidents, rot, natural? many reasons to cause this. Most of the time you can take part of the crest off and root it, and it will grow like that. Be sure to take off the natural offsets.
Crests are fun, collecting crests would be a good hobby in it's self. Some plants never crest, and you cant force them to. I hope this wasn't boring. Norma

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

what exactly is a crest on a succulent? i find it interesting norma, not boring :)

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Funny, I had just noticed that a supposedly non-crested succ. is cresting. I think I like this habit. I wonder if lack of sun and space might cause it too?

I'll leave a definition of a crest to someone more knowledgeable....

Valley Village, CA

Now I'll try and put it in my own words and not quote the Glossery. I crest is unusual growth at the apex of a plant. There can be natural growth on as well. The leaves are smaller. I have a crested Kalanchoe, it will have floweers with 4-11 leaves, the flower stalk is usually distorted. I have a Cotaledon, which is an unusual form, but it is also a crested plant. The flowers stalk sometimes curls, and flowers don't open correctly. The stems usually flatten somewhat.

Sometimes animals are not born perfected either, ears not correct, cleft foot, or cleft palet, nose off to one side, etc.

Many crested plants have trouble flowering, and also slower growing, I have crested Crassula. I've seen crested Sedum and Aeonium, only one crested Gasteria, but there is many crested Cactus. 'Brain Cactus'. Now it's your turn ask questions, and I'll try to explain better.
Now I will look up the correct explanation in the plant Glossary.
Well the first page that I opened it shows a crested opuntia. Offical explanation: A common malformation in plant stems resulting in enlargement and flattening as if several stems were fused; cresting. I wonder what my other glossary will tell us.
Norma

Valley Village, CA

Another condition that might be confused with cresting.

Eiolation: Not enough sun
will form this weird growth.

Offical explanation: The beaching or loss of chlorophyl caused by insufficient light and resulting in elongated internodes. It also casues uneven growth in columnar plants, thick/thin/thick
These plants are not pretty. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.