Weez........happy birthday, today!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

hope it's not too cold up there in Alaska! have a good one.......spring is just around the corner! I was out in the garden yesterday in the sunshine for about two hours! Boy, did I have a great sleep, all the fresh air! E.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday Weez!!!!!!!!Hope you are OK!!!

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Happy B-day Weez!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, everyone! I'm having a wonderful birthday. It's warming up to almost 30 degrees F. here with snow falling gently down. Being 4pm, it's beginning dusk... love these short winter days!

Wish I could be in my garden right now Roselaine, but I'd have to shovel the snow off it first and build a bonfire to dig! Thanks so much all of you for thinking of me on the Canadian forum!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Happy Birthday Weeze! ....at least we do share that part of gardening in common ;)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'm told that snow is good mulch and adds nutrients to the soil... I am well mulched and fully packed with nutrients.. or rather my garden beds are. This fall I left the plastic on these two hooped beds and stored some first year potted perennials in them... as you can see in this picture, they are well insulated. They are the two lumps in the middle of the picture.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I was just reminded of our last snowfall, about ?? weeks ago..my kitty, Rosey, was running on top of all the snow and peeing as she went...because she couldn't find her own scent, she was totally confused. The pattern on the snow gave the appearance of a dot-to-dot game.yellow dots! But you are right, in saying....a dump of the white stuff is truly the best form of insulation Mother Nature can give the garden!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy belated birthday Weez. I remember one year the snow came surprisingly early and heavy - October 21. I was out in the garden harvesting carrots - bobcat bucket loads of them. Stopped at about 1000 pounds cause I didn't think I could handle any more washing sorting and storing. The following April I was digging fresh carrots - you would never have known they had been under 4 feet of snow and minus 30 temps for nearly 6 months. They were so sweet.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

LOL, Roselaine! Poor kitty! Jagonjune, our usual problem is that many times over the winter, the temps will rise, snow will melt, and the plants are exposed for a time. That seems to be very hard on them. I usually mulch with straw where they are likely to be uncovered. This year, I added a layer of plastic over the straw as well, to prevent them drowning in the pots when the weather warms. We can grow good carrots here, but they tend to have several taproots. Any suggestions?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm always late. Hope your day was a special one.

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Yes, that's the same with me...always late. Weezingreens, your new year is still young and I hope it'll be great year !
I also hope you've had a very nice birthday !

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, in fact, I did have a nice birthday. Thank you for your belated wishes! No hurry, I'll be 57 all year long! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.