Beaucarnea Recuruata

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I can't believe I found this in our local Canadian Superstore. I am now the proud owner of it and I want to take very good care of it. I actually brought it home, well bundled, in -42F weather. Where would it be most happy inside the house and at what temperature can I put it outside and where (come summer)? (c: Any other growing instructions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Valley Village, CA

Mine has grown to the size of a car, but I live in So. Calif. Our temperatures seldom drop below 30. I have it facing west with some dappled shade, and thank goodness it is a male plant, I hope, because if the opposite sex moves in I'm in big trouble. These plants come from Mexico, so like the dry weather, and some warmth, I have seen them growing inside in a Bonsai pot, which I suggest. Once it is out of the pot it will take over, the base just gets large, currently mine is 16" around, I planted it too close to the driveway, and the roots are shallow, but it would take a car crane to remove it. Don't overwater as you possible could rot out the base or it will grow and escape the pot. heheheh Norma

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Saskatchewan promises nothing but dry weather...that won't be hard to provide! ;) I'll do what you suggest and keep it in it's Bonsai pot and move it a brighter but indirect
spot. Sounds like the perfect plant for me...I tend to water less often than I should so it and I will get along fine.
Thanks Norma!

Valley Village, CA

Lilypon, Just remember if you plant this one in the ground, make sure it is far enough away from the house, walkways, drivways, and the flowers shed like crazy and so do the leaves. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Whoops, l6 feet around. The new name change Nolina, beats me why they would do that. Norma

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I think if I move it outside I will keep it in the pot in filtered sunlight...our last frost free day is June 1st (most years) and the end of August is the last safe date.It will always live in a pot...even if I move it up to a slightly larger size, at some time. If it ever bloomed here it would be a miracle!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

A tip I got from a lady who has the most beautiful indoor Beaucarnea I've ever seen.
Water them only by touch.
Push your finger into the base.
If it feels firm don't water.
If you can push your finger slightly then water deeply.
We summer ours outdoors in partial sun.

Ric

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

gots it...thanks!

edited to say I was at work earlier so could only respond quickly...thank you for your suggestions as well Ric. I'll be taking good care of my new friend now. :)

This message was edited Jan 30, 2004 6:34 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.