Habanero Pepper Seeds

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

How long does it take habanero pepper seeds to sprout? I planted 30 seeds a couple weeks ago and there is no sign of life. I've always had trouble growing these from seed and that is why I planted 30 seeds when, in the end, I will only need one plant.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

kelli - if i remember from two years ago they took about 2 weeks. i do place the seed tray in the middle of a heating blanket and then fold the ends over it. i set the heat control at nbr 7.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Habs are notorious for slow germination. Some can take 3 or 4 weeks.

The heat is 1 way to help and another is to soak overnight in a 1/2 strength tea solution. Both together should hasten germination. I think I read somewhere that Habs need 85* to germinate. Hardly that warm in the average house.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

The seed-starting box sits on a south-facing windowsill and gets direct sun, so it probably gets up to 85F sometimes, but it isn't going to be that warm all the time, especially not at night. Actually, it will be pretty much impossible for me to keep them that warm 24 hours a day at any time of the year. That would explain my difficulties historically.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.