Favorite Red Heirloom????

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I know people have posted this question before, but I'm specifically interested in feedback on the following varieties:
Akers WV
Box Car Willie
Mule Team
Dr. Lyle
I have read Carolyn's book, but would like info. on taste, etc. from people who grow in the south and have to contend with the heat and humidity that's typical here. I used to live in NY state, so I know the difference between the two climates. My personal belief is the heat takes something away from the flavor, but I'm interested in what others think. Thanks.

Louisville, KY

It has been a while since I grew Aker's WV and Box Car Willie. I grew Mule Team this past summer and loved it. Great flavor!
Gary/Louisville

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Dr. Lyle is pink, not red.

And the varieties I chose for my book were not solely based on performance/taste in NYS.

Carolyn

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Carolyn,
Sorry for the mix up with Dr. Lyle. When I talk to growers in my area, they dont have much to say. When I read what other post here in the forum, it seems subjective. I realize that your book would cover performance in multiple areas, but after this last year where it was so wet, I'm hesitant to plant too many heirlooms.
Tom

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

but after this last year where it was so wet, I'm hesitant to plant too many heirlooms.

Why is that Tom?

I'm not getting the connection between wet and preference for hybrids over heirlooms unless you're talking foliage diseases and hybrids and heirlooms are equal on that score; no tolerances for either type.

Carolyn

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Carolyn,
I am talking about disease resistance, however you raised a great point. Hybrids, if they hold out, didn't do so much longer than my heirlooms did. I guess I just have some mindset that hybrids are bullet proof over heirlooms. Not paying very close attention to my reading! I guess I'll just not have to worry so much. I remember back in NY that we didn't seem to have much trouble except for late blight. Septoria leaf spot hit people hard here in NC last year, but I managed to harvest plenty of fruit off the first plantings. Bottom line is that I shouldn't worry and just go with the flow. Thanks Carolyn!
Tom

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Last year was dreadful for hybrid and heirloom alike here. The wet,cool conditions that lasted well into June pretty much took the fun out of gardening around here...and nearly everyone grows hybrids in this area. I saw no difference in complaints and lack of harvest. What survived the spring monsoons succumbed to a host of ills when it warmed up and dried out. I had people calling me in July for a chance at some new plants(which I didn't have)

I did a presentation and talk in the middle of August about tomatoes and if it wasn't for a very generous person who I sent seeds to up in Illinois,there would have been pitiful few for people to taste at the end.

Two of the last three years have been like this. I'm afraid that weather patterns have changed and we're going to have to learn to deal with these wet, cool springs.

I'm just planting heirlooms, as taste and preservation is what I'm about, but I really don't think it matters. They seem to have roughly the same resistance as hybrids.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm like you Mel, plant what varieties you want to and don't let the hybrid/heirloom topic fool you into trying to second-guess this coming summers weather.

We sure had a wet time this past year (I'm not that far from Tom), however I had tomatoes producing till frost. I'm even ashamed to admit I actually plowed some under that were still hanging on the vines. (Don't get me wrong now, I picked plenty of late green ones to ripen inside and for use in frying!)

Besides, speaking of weather and choosing varieties, the year before last we were in a very serious drought. What a change from one year to the next!

Tom, as for your original question, Sorry I can't chime in...I've never grown any of those four you mentioned. (Will be relying on your input when I hear how they do for you this year!)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Akers WV is very good. I liked it a lot the one year I grew it. Nice sized fruits and good production. Nice taste.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Melody, what is the best red that does not have the large core? Medium size fruit is fine, a heavy producer?
Teresa

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Wow, what a question. There's so many tomatoes and so little time.

It's all subjective. One person's favorite may not be someone elses. Conditions will have an effect on taste, and conditions will also contribute to the core you are speaking of.

I don't grow hybrids, so I can't offer any suggestions personally. A lot of folk like Jet Star and Big Boy for hybrids. Those seem to be the most requested around here.

I don't grow many reds as a rule...just tend to like the pinks and bi-colors better.But that's my opinion again.

Wes is a heart shaped red tomato that I just love.It's not a big producer, but the fruits are outstanding. German Red Strawberry is another good red.

Some people like a lot of 'bite' in a tomato taste, and some like the smoother high sugar content. I tend to lean toward the higher sugar content, but not to the point that they taste bland.

Flavors are complex and everyone has opinions as to what they like. The best thing is to try several diverse varieties and do a blind taste taste. When you find a flavor that you like, then you can hunt similar tomatoes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.