Greenhouse inflation

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

My greenhouse is almost done, today the electrician was here and got part of his job done. One thing that do work now is the inflation blower. The whole thing is double plastic with jumper hoses to the front and back wall.

I'm supposed to run the blower 24/7 but I chickened out and turned it off for tonight. I'm wondering where all this air is supposed to go after the walls are fully inflated. I was told I didn't need an exhaust since there was no way I could make it that air tight.

After just a few hours the thing started to look like a balloon, and I didn't hear air coming out anywhere. I have followed directions and closed the damper half way.

I know this sounds funny, but is it possible that it could get over inflated and blow up?

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Never heard of one blowing up..lol
I would worry about losing my insulation factor by turning the blower off. Unless you are fortunate enough to live where you do not need heat overnight.
**zone envy raises it's ugly head again**

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I haven't put any plants in there yet. The electrician will finish up tomorrow and the gas company has to come out to hook up the heater. Right now i'm only testing it.
I probably won't have time to drag all my plants out there until next weekend.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine runs 24/7 and it looks like the bubleboys house...LOL

Its never blown up,and it doesent flap in the wind which it may do if not inflated.....

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks CC, I take it you do not have any kind of exhaust in yours?
Mine was starting to look like the michelin man or something, and it can be used as a drum, it has a pretty nice sound to it actually.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL I have this great mental picture... *POP!* giggle :) I just wouldn't drum it too hard or put any cactus near the walls Kris. lol

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mine runs full time. No problems. The tightness of the plastic will vary according to the weather, some days it will be tighter than other days.

Ideally, you should have an exhaust hole. This is usually at the furtherst point from the fan and can be opened manually. The reason for it is to allow moisture that is between the walls to be released. You only open this up every so often and not so large an opening that it causes the layers to 'deflate'. Personally, I've never installed one because I have enuff leaks in mine that I don't have to worry about it.

By the way, don't worry about it blowing up! If you have a standard blower they won't have the power to over-inflate.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS KIND OF GREENHOUSE, PIC PLEASE

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info Shoe, I feel much better now.

Janet, it's pouring down rain, I know it is at your place too, so I'm going to have to take photos another day.
The greenhouse looks like a regular one, you probably have seen them, just never noticed the blower.

I'll try to take some photos showing the blower and the inflation soon.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

kris my road is unreal, almost washed out. no rush was just curious

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We have 2 houses with blowers. One has run steady for 3 or 4 years, can't remember for sure. There are some holes in it so on windy days it flops around a little. The other one has been going over a year. Worked good until a couple of days ago a cat got locked in and tryed to go out through the plastic. It deflates immediatly in the wind.
Those blowers have no pressure push, they just move air. When the space is full it just quites going in until more is needed.
This is the newer house, snow comes off better, too.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Country Gardens do you run that gh year round?? How much does it cost to heat in the winter and what do you use? What is the electricity consumption for fan etc? Do you need supplemental light in the winter?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Last year we started about mid-Jan. Burns fuel oil, around 100 gals a week when coldest. Can't do electric separate.
Furnace has a 1hp 110v motor. Fan are a 32" & a 24". Both run on 220v. They are on thermostates.
Does a very good job of growing so is cost effective I guess.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

The is one major greenhouse...huge! E. As long as you have fun days and good results......E.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is the small one! Only 25'x 60'. Others are 30'x 90' & 20'x 88'.
Ran out of room last year!
Bernie

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

OK so you are a commercial grower or seriously disturbed amateur LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We sell a little bit now & then.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

She's not disturbed
She's happy
I'm disturbed
She has the greenhouses I should have!
LOL

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

The blower has been running for about a week and the GH didn't blow up, lol.
I tried to take some photos that would show the two layers but the camera can't see it.
The closest I could get was the back wall, you can see that it is bulging out.

Thumbnail by Paintedlady
Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's the blower

Thumbnail by Paintedlady
Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's one of the two jumper hoses that lets air from the big roof part go to the front and the back wall.
Also the electrical panel and the thermostats.

Thumbnail by Paintedlady
Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

This is what it looks like from the outside.

Thumbnail by Paintedlady
Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's an inside photo. I carried all those plants out there today.
Yesterday I was on my knees stapling the weed fabric down inside and out. My back is killing me, and so are my legs.
I love it though, just wish I had a couple more days off to enjoy it.

Janet, since you are so close, you are welcome to come and check it out if you like. I'm almost always home on the weekend, just email me to be sure.

Thumbnail by Paintedlady
Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Me thinks you should have gotten a larger greenhouse,it looks about full already. What a great place to hang out on cool winter days! Have fun.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Looks great Kris!! Where did you have all those plants before?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

That's what I'm wondering Brenda... lol

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Believe it or not, but all those plants where in my house!

The big trees where in between the kitchen and the living room, which has the highest ceiling in the house. There was also a row under the bardesk separating the two rooms. I had to duck to get into my bedroom and the living room.
I also had a 12x11 room crammed full, and lights hung everywhere.

The house looks strangely wide open now, and I can not believe I just about filled my new greenhouse. I had this silly notion that I would have plenty of room, lol.

My BF told me it wouldn't be big enough and to get one twice that size. I told him "No, it will be plenty big".
Imagine that, a man was right!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Just don't admit it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.