Thunbergia Grandiflora Blue Skyflower vine

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I have Die-dyed MG's (Purple) and would like to trade for the blue skyflower vine seeds. Thanks, Lou

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Lou,
if you don't find the seeds, contact me in the spring & I will send you cuttings.
Donna

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

That would be great PudgyMudpies!!! Oh, for Spring to get here!!! Lou

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

dispatch, how would MG's do in Fla? zone 10b. I have the blue skyvine, grown all the way up to the transformer on the power line. I could probly get you some seeds, maybe, if you could tell me where to find them? And once my snap peas are harvested, I will have room on the fence for the MG's. What do ya think?

Molly

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I have the Thumbergia Battiscombie and have had it almost a year now. It has bloomed non-stop and I have yet to find a single seed. I am told by others here that the ones they have grown have produced very few seeds and its better to do cuttings than to wait on seeds.....
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I looked for seeds everywhere on this vine, willow.....where the heck are they??

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

According to Floridata.com it doesn't produce seeds because the species (insect?) that pollinates it isn't in Florida.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Willowwasp that is soooo beautiful....I want some of those so badly for the park I work at. If anyone out there would be willing to send me some cuttings when things warm up, I will faithfully keep stock plants growing in our greenhouse all winter and share cuttings next year.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is another varitiey of Blue Sky Flower and it is equally beautiful. This is Thumbergia Grandfloria. I think that is the way to spell it......From what I've heard this one dosen't produce many seed either.
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

That is a lovely picture, WillowWasp. I did not get blooms on mine this year but hopefully next year. I planted seed for the Thunbergia Grandiflora-white. They germinated really easily & I am going to plant these right in with my blue. I think it will look really pretty to have both colors blooming together. Thank you for showing me what I have to look forward to!
Donna

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the Blackeyed Susan Thumbergia. This is also a very pretty vine that can cover a fence pretty quick. This was a slow bloomer, planted it in May and didn't get a single bloom until later in the fall. But it like the others has not stopped blooming since......This one seeds really well but you have to be quick to get'um.....
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This is another view of the Mercer Blue, Thumbergia Battiscombie and flower buds.....This has such an intense blue purple color. When the flower first opens it is more purple than blue you can kinda see that in the buds.

On the Blackeyed Susan Thumbergia, there is also a white and I have seen pictures of a cream and another really lite blue. I have heard tell of an orange but have not seen one yet, maybe its really a mutant yellow that looks orange...LOL..there are lots of these in other colors and I think they are really worth growing....
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Now isn't this interesting?? the blue doesn't produce seeds and the variety Alba, does? Am I missing something here? E.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

From what I can gather...the native North American bee can easily pollinate the Blackeyed Susan Thunbergia but the Grandiflora is pollinated by a bee native to India and by one that is native to Costa Rica. Probably has to do with the long tubular shape of the Thunbergia Grandiflora's flower.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2004 2:07 AM

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I have seen a small brown moth inside the Mercer Blue, but like the honey bee I think hes to fat to get very far into the flower. Maybe I will have better luck this year.

I keep this one right under my porch light so bugs do have the chance to polinate it if they will. My light usually stays on until 10 or 11 at night...Maybe something will find a way to get us some seeds...
Dee

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

does anyone have spinx moth(hummingbird moths?) i think these would be able to pollinate them with their long beak thingy. just a thought.

Lakeview, MI(Zone 5a)

I have seen the spinx moth in my flower garden here in michigan.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey you guys, Don't you know how to put on your yellow striped suit and get a q-tip and act like a bee? I do that with lots of things to try to get seeds to set. Give it a try and report back :) hint from the Queen of Dirtland, Margie

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

PM you are just south of me and colder . It looks like I could grow that cool plant. How hardy is it? I would love to have it as an addition to my little collection.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is another view of this beauty from the side. This will give you an idea how long the neck of the flower is. This may be the reason its so hard to get seeds.....
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

the only thing i can say is maybe take a spoon or something smaller and see if you can srcap gently to get some pollen to stick in another flower.

self pollinate.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

You know, I got to thinking that maybe I should post a picture of the grandiflora seed before I plant the last ones, so anyone that is looking on their plant does not think they are like the roundish alata seeds. These are flat. So here it is, for ID purposes. And if anyone has the Batiscombii seeds please post if they also look like this. I plan on getting one this year & would really like to know.
Donna

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.