my finds for the day from lowes

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I walked into lowes today, to find a few things. I've been keeping an eye out for new things. And today it paid off.

I found
may apple
red trillium
another trillium, completely diff, says mixed colors on it.
trout lily
and some unusual seeds
zinnia whirligig
cosmos sensation picotee
& rudbeckia purpurea bravado.

I was thrilled to find these things, the plants were in little packets like and the were l.98 ea. the trilliums were already sprouting.

It 's still freezing here at night, Guess it's a wise idea to plant these things in pots until it warms up a bit right? keep them in the greenhouse? The plants that is. I already know to do that with the seeds.

kathy_ann

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

You are so kidding!!! Trilliums already?!? May Apples?!? Trout Lilies?!? Guess where I'm heading tomorrow?? I can't believe this. Do you think they were headed for Georgia?lol

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm not sure, but it made me want to make a35 min trip to homedepo to see what neat stuff they had, unfortunately I didn't get to go today. couldn't believe I found such neat stuff. I haven't seen those things for sale even at the nurseries around here. I'm a happy camper today. LOL

kathy_ann

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Kathy Ann, I'll be waiting to see how these do for you. I bought what sounds like the same things last spring-the shade lovers in little plastic bags? Mine are potted and sheltered next to a wall in my shade garden.

Edited.

This message was edited May 19, 2005 9:20 AM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

badseed, yes, sounds like the same thing, most of what I bought were for shade, Though I'm really needing to quit buying shade things and go for the full sun, or should I say desert sun or is it dessert. LOL I have a huge area ready to be planted, but it's in full sun, that gets little water. I'm kind of wondering what kind of plants to put out there. I have apple mint, peppermint, orange mint, sage, zebrina malva, 4 o clocks, ceasers brother siberian iris, some glads, iris, cocks comb, other mints, and tons of creeping phlox and juniper rug out there, but I have this huge hole in the center of all of it with nothing there. got any other ideas what I could put in the full sun, what about oriental lilies, do they take full sun. I need short plants mostly though.

kathy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I guess I have the flip side. I have 99% full sun and only one small shade bed. Things I didn't see you mention are daylilies, hardy hibiscus, artemesia, russian sage, ornamental grasses, sedums, etc. You might also think about dwarf canna, glads, iberis, lambs ears, hmmmm. I'm trying to think what I have in baking sun. LOL My lilies are in full sun and do great! There are also dwarf varieties out there.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Doing an online search for "Perennials for Sun" will bring up a lot of sites with lots of good plants for sun. Some I've had and tons I've never seen before. I personally like delphiniums, dianthus, sedums, Rose of Sharon, alium, heliopsis, malva (re-seeds), there are just so many available to make a garden come alive with color.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I do have some sedums and blue fescue out there and several kinds of day lilies, I think I'll move my asiatic and oriental lilies out there as well. I'm in the process of looking for dwarf cannas right now.

thanks for the help

kathy_ann

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Kathy, did you find some calla lilies at Lowes?
Molly

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

not yet, They said their bulbs would be out on the 27th, boy don't you know i'll be there then, I'm watching for those lavender, red, flame, I love those calla's LOL

kathy_ann

can't have too many

Central, AR(Zone 7b)

Kathy ann---- Just wait a few weeks and I will have you set for the sun plants all kinds of sizes---colors---shapes---- perennials and annuals. My greenhouse is almost completely full with seeds. We can meet again at the Wal Mart in Searcy!!!! I brought you a halloween box full last time. I guess this time I could bring a Easter box!!!! You make me jealous of all the great finds at lowes! Did you buy them out? I hope you saved me some? Did they have their roses yet? I planted all my mint as you said and they are gone so I can't wait until spring to see if they come back. I do hope you still have more of your scented geraniums. I got about four of them to root. Maybe you have better luck on rooting the geraniums. You don't have some of celery seed or hot pepper or tomatoe seed extra do you? I will also have a bunch of sun perennials to divide. Glad to see you here!!! Tracy

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

KAthy_ann, please check the mail call forum. Thanks
Molly

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hey Tracy, Wow! Great to hear from you, Would love to meet again at wally world, wouldn't that be neat. I do have some celery seed and tomato seed of diff kinds, heirlooms and others. I got tons of mints, LOL yours will come back, I recently got snow cones, planted it outside and it's died down but will come back up in the spring.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm on my way molly

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I was at our Lowe's last week and they were not here. Mostly tropicals which are Lovely. I have not tried orchids. I just admire.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Tropicals, jeese, don't have anything like that at mine yet they have no bulbs yet either. still waiting. their working on getting trees out right now

kathy_ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.