A good knife sharpener?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Welp, me again. (Am also gonna post this in Recipes, it seems a good place also.)

Folks, I love a good sharp knife. The one in my back pocket and especially the ones in the kitchen demand a good edge on them.
For years I could keep a decent edge on my pocket knife with a simple whetstone but sometimes it's a very time-consuming task, and sometimes with not-so-great results.

I've purchased different miracle sharpeners from Chef's Choice Manual diamond hone to electric wheel spinners (that tout how easy it is to use). These things seem to sharpen already-sharpened knives. (I realize that when a knife gets way past sharp it takes a good hand to get it back in shape and I normally don't let knives get completely dull.)

Is there ANY sharpening machine ya'll use and can recommend that would not only keep my knives sharp but also easily sharpen a super dull one? Thanks.

PS...I do own a couple "high dollar" kitchen knives that come with a lifetime sharpening service but I either have to drive to the next town (and hope the guy is there) or send them off in the mail.

This thread has 42 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!