Attn: Molly - Aloe Vera with yellow flowers

Valley Village, CA

Attn: Molly - Aloe Vera with yellow flowers

Thumbnail by Crasulady2
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Norma. We have some aloe vera in our flower bed by the house. When I took out all the other planting last year, I left the aloe. We use is a lot down here, sunburn and such. Anyway, last summer was the first time it bloomed. A very nice surprise.

Molly

Valley Village, CA

Molly if it had orange flower on then I want a tiny offset.
There are many Aloe species, but only one Aloe vera.

There are also other Aloe that are used medicinally. A. ferox is one, and probably better than vera. A species is one that is found naturally in situ. There are also naturally hybrids in some colonys. A cultivar could also be a species but cultivated for the trade.(offsets) from seed grown plants. If you grow them from seed you may pick out a selection. One with bigger or redder teath, more spots, smaller leaves, better flower color. Then cross it back to accent that special feature. Fun, fun, good fun. Norma

Sorry Norma, to the best of my recollection it had yellow blooms. But if I am wrong, and I have more aloe in the yard, when the blooms come up this summer, I will keep you in mind for that piece.

Molly

Valley Village, CA

Molly it ok, my friend said he has all three/flour colors available. So I'm okay now at this time. Brrr it's cold today, and yesterday it was gorgeous, a very bright clear day. Now today I must sweep up the greenhouse. Norma

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

heheheh, yes. Exactly. There are very many Aloe species, and Aloe vera is just one of them. This Aloe, in the picture, is not Aloe vera.

I was out looking at the aloe today, trying to dig up heliconia and I see the aloe are coming into bloom soon. I see the bloom spikes popping up. I'll takes pics when they color up.

Molly

Valley Village, CA

Thanks Molly, I have several species of Aloe in Flower at this time. We get a lot of visitors to the Huntington Gardens just to look at our Aloe in flower. It is a sight to behold. It's that time of year. I just hope they cut the stalk off when the fruit it ripe. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.