potting soil

camp verde, AZ(Zone 8a)

Anybody have recomendations on potting soil? I just started some seeds today using miracle grow.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

What are you using the soil for? I don't use Miracle-gro's soil for seed starting because the fertilizer isn't necessary for tiny seedlings, and I've had consistent problems with mold growth on top.

I buy a "pro mix" sterile medium from Home Depot, 40 qt. bags are $9 or so. Not the cheapest way to do it, but I recycle the used mix for my bigger plants and outdoor pots, so I wind up going thru 2-3 bags each spring, and couple more bags during the summer and fall.

Edited to spell "mold" the way most people spell it :)

This message was edited Jan 22, 2004 7:03 AM

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

david47 - agree with terry. i buy the smae stuff from home depot and never had any problems.

camp verde, AZ(Zone 8a)

Thaks for the info. I used miricle grow last year and did have some problems with mold.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I use vermiculite only and have no problems. After the seeds sprout and develop their true leaves,4 weeks or so,I add a diluted fertilizer. Miracle-Gro.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Went to Home Depot today and noticed that they have two types of seed starting soil .One with fertilizer and the other without additives and this is the one you should use until they develop their true leaves, not the first ones,but the second set of leaves.
01/27/04 -- Went to Home Depot to purchase a bag of the virgin seed starter mix and wouldn't you know, no stock. That's a big problem with Home Depot, you never know if they will restock, even the management does'nt know. Lesson to be learned -- buy it when you see it!

This message was edited Jan 27, 2004 7:39 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.