'Prizewinner' runner bean

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm looking to purchase some 'Prizewinner' runner beans. Anyone know where they're available? I've found them on the net in the UK but nowhere in the US. Can bean seed be shipped from the UK to the US?

Thanks for your help.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...Red, I know for a fact that seed from the UK can be shipped here. I'm not familiar with Prizewinner. (I sure like the name tho!)

I'll keep my eyes and ears open and get back to ya.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Shoe, if that's the case, I'll just go ahead and order them from the UK.....I've got an email to them already.

These beans are a variation of the Scarlet Runner bean (as I understand it), only quite a bit larger. I raised them about 5 years ago but just tried to sprout my seed and none of them seem to be viable.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Shoe, here's a pic of my seed that I saved from 1996, which I apparently have lost by not growing out sooner. Should I order enough for two of us?

This message was edited Jan 20, 2004 2:07 AM

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Another picture of my index card.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...I have something that looks similar to those. Not sure what they are tho, they were given to me by a market customer. I've never grown them out. These are very lightweight seeds and seem to resemble some sort of scarlet runner bean type.

Yours seem to be a bit more narrow/elongated...maybe they're not the same.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2004 10:12 AM

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Shoe, the seed I have is nearly as wide and a little longer than the Christmas lima bean. They're a huge bean!

Your's don't look as large, to me they resemble a cranberry type bean.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That's what I get for not using an object to show the size comparison. Sorry.

Here's a pic of the seed again, and Vermont Cranberry in the pic with them.

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Yup, they sure do resemble mine and the size is right too.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I got these this past summer, however, I haven't the foggiest idea how old they are. I never tried to grow them out (choosing instead to grow out some Jack bean instead).

If you'd like them they are yours. Perhaps I can send them now and you can do a germ test on some of them...that way if they don't germ you'll still have time to order fresh from UK.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Sounds great Shoe, yes I would like them! I haven't heard from the supplier from the UK as yet....I sent them an email yesterday and it didn't come back so I guess it was received o.k.

Thanks again!!!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Shoe, received your seeds in today's mail, thanks a million! You must still be reading my mail, I was planning on purchasing some dipper gourds, now I don't have to. :o)

Thanks again for everything!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yay! Glad they arrived! Hope they do well for you.

Enjoy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.