Blue Bananas

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

My string of bananas developed this nice blue sheen in the cold (doesn't show too well in photo, sorry.) Mind you, it is only blue on the side facing the outside. The part of the plant facing the patio is plain green. So, why is it that some of the succulents and cacti turn red in the cold and some turn blue?

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Valley Village, CA

This is a true reply, the same reason some of us are green, black, gold, red, purple and pink. It's in the DNA, genes, etc. the same reason that we have different color or hair, I was once a red head, now I'm gray, my dad was blond, and my mother looked Hispanic. She was full blooded Russian, Grandpa also Russian was had red hair.

This plant would love full sun all around so it would be a brillant blue, and the leaves would grow closer together. They are lovely plants, I personally think most Senecio are different (weird) and worthy of collecting. I love all of mine. Norma

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I have one of those families. My Irish mother had black wavy hair. Dad was basic brown. I am towheaded. We love recessive genes! No mystery about the blue eyes though. Would putting these in full sun slow the growth? I got these cuttings about 9 months ago and they were 8" give or take. They are now trailing about 5 feet. I have 2 pots of them. Maybe I will move one into full sun and see what happens. With any luck, I will get nice fat bananas.

Senecio surely is a wide ranging species. My dusty millers go so big that I finally took them out his year to start over. The last time I grew them was in northern CA and they would die back in winter. Here they got trunks and kept on blooming. I have one big one left that I am going to try to transplant to a place where it can roam free. I think it would go well with the mexican sage. I just picked up a new arch and am stinging that a mexican flame vine would be just the thing.

Valley Village, CA

Not really they would just be more beautiful. Is this a basket type? I think it is growing too fast due to lack of light. I really think you will be rewarded if you gave the plant more light, and the plant will smile back at you as well. Gradually introduce it to more sun, however, not all at once. Norma

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Will do Norma. I will move them later today. I hadn't thought about it growing too fast for lack of light.

Valley Village, CA

Plants generally string out for lack of light, they are reaching for the light. There is a latin name for this process. All plants need a certain amount of light. Toadstools which are fungus don't need light. If it is green it needs light.
Plants are identified by the flowers not the leaves. The are also classified by the flowers. Some leaves actually help with the ID however.
I don't know all my plants now, I forget a lot of what I have learned and should still know, but I don't work with those plants currently, so I forget. Be kind to your plants. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.