I am a .......?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

We have had this one awhile. It isusually darker but the few freezing nights caused it to beg for mercy. It gets leggy and each arm is about 2" to 2 1/2" across.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Valley Village, CA

Hi, The only name that I could come up with is A. javena, and I'm not even sure if that is correct. I am trying to find it in one of my books, so far no luck, and I can't find it among my collection. Mine that is in the ground is very red this time of year, it does get good light. I also have a similar plant called A. 'Park Place' it also has turned red. These took full sun, and loved it, grew it on the dry side. Norma

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

If it helps, this one has never turned red and it is in full sun. My son has collected things with stickers without caring about the name. I now take him to the "good nursery where all the plants are named.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Now here is a red one. I got his from a lady in San Felipe. Hers was a mass about 3 ft in diameter and blooming like crazy. She has had it about 20 years. I think the only water it gets is left over iced tea and beer. She also has the biggest mother of thousands I have ever seen. The largest piece shown here is less that 3 inches. I do not know its name either. Thanks for all of your help Norma.
Janice

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Forgot the picture!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Um, third time is a charm?

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey! I have the first one frogsrus!
I got it in Pasadena about 6 years back.
It was one of the plants that escaped w/ my Ferocactus wislizenii.
There was a piece that broke off and the seller just threw it in the bag.
Mine's much leggier but the same plant.
I always figured it was a Haworthia and really hadn't even started looking for it's true Genus.
Guess that's now changed.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

frogrus,
I PRETTY sure it's Aloe juvenna.
All the signs match.

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

The cactus looks like peanut cactus (Echinopsis chamaecereus). I would call the flower color orange, but some people have a more liberal definition of red than I do.

Thumbnail by Kelli
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks Kelli. That's it!

Valley Village, CA

I call the inners petals(center) red with orance outers. (the small outside row of petals that are narrower.) Isn't this a great description. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.