Another Brandywine Question

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I can't remember which thread I saw it on, but I remember someone saying that the Brandywines take a long time before they bear fruit, but that they eventually do, and that they do get quite large. I live in zone 5b, and am wondering if I give these a try, if they will have time to actually ripen on the vine, if I get them out in mid April with wall-o-waters protecting them (4 weeks earlier than normal).

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't know enough about the growing habits of Brandywine even though I have three of them in my containers at this time and they are doing well. For me, most of my fun is raising different varieties and watch them grow. Another fact is that plants will grow differently in different climates and states. I too would like to hear of experiences of other tomato lovers and make a comparison.I hope others respond?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'm in 6b, and my Brandywines don't really do well until the soil finally warms, about the time I can also do basil. I haven't tried the wall-o-water things, nor even a dark plastic to warm the soil around them but it seems reasonable that I should!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I raised them in NH (zone 4) with no special protection and was fairly successful. Large, delicious fruit, but I quit raising them because of very poor production.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Darius big benifts can be reaped in soil condition and temprature if you put black plastic down now. Mine is still down and I will remove it a month befor planting time and will till the soil and recover it. My plants enjoy this program and grow faster early on.

Those wall of water things help to but I probably wont use them because I am going to put all my tomatoes and peppers under a plastic hoop tunnel. Ernie

Karrie, I planted Brandywines a few years ago. The plants were enourmous as were the tomatoes. They were good tomatoes but the most any of the plants had was three tomatoes. Granted they were big but I don't think they lived up to their hype. Personally I wouldn't plant them again.

Kerry, I'm in zone 3 and grew these last year. I got huge plants with quite a few tomatoes. Very good flavour. The only drawback I found, was the very delicate skins. When they ripen on the vine, you have to handle them carefully. I started them about 6 weeks early indoors under lights, but they got no special treatment in the garden. I may have mulched them with grass clippings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.