New Baby. Don't Touch!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Ferorcactus latispinus. Isn't it a pretty baby? I can't wait for my son to get home to give it to him. Those spines are NASTY.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

I want one of those.......!! Maybe nephew won't touch that plant..he has to touch them all.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

GORGEOUS!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Spacecowgirl, He will only touch this one once! Lol! We have quite a few plants that discourage petting. Some of the ones that lok cuddly are the worst because they have fine stickers. It is like having spun glass under your skin. I have some industrial strength barbeque tongs for working with cactus.

Believe it or not, I got it at walmart. They just put out all he new plants.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2004 1:28 PM

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

We don't get plants like that at our Walmart. Believe it or not, I did find an adenium obesum at Krogers (Grocery store)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Fine looking specimins are popping up in the strangest places in the East.
From HD and Lowes to Target and Krogers (who have a 'killer' grouping I've been eying here) and now Wally World things are finally starting to look up out here!

Ric

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Wallyworld hee in desert land always maintains a fair selection of cactus and are getting better about having named specimens rather that "assorted succulents." Our target garden sections are generally pretty pitiful. Lowes is prettyconsistant though and again the cactus and succulents and tropicals are named rather that assorted. Yeah! I wonder what I would do if iI knew the names of all of my plants. It will never happen.

Ric, I finally got some Mona Lavender to propagate. It is a stubborn plectranthus. I cant wait for new blooms.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We're just starting to get named specimens here.
Your news bodes well for us here.

At the risk of crossing threads to 'ML'.
frogsrus,
When it fully blooms,
you will NOT be disappointed!
Sun or shade the prettiest bloom we have.

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Can we expect some pictures when it blooms? :-)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Nice plant frogs. How big is this baby and how large will it grow? I've been looking for little plants in our local stores, but so far they haven't come in. Now that I have a greenhouse I want more cactus. They sure are interesting!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Absolutely Kelli.

This is in a 6" pot at the moment an is 4" high. I am not as familiar with the ferocactus so I a not sure how big it can get. We had some monsters when I was growing up but I do not think I will put mine in the ground. We have many places to buy cactus here in southern CA. They even carry them at the dollar stores. If you put a notice in the plant trading forum in spring, I am sure many of us could send you samples. Lol. Come visit and we will take a walk around my neighborhood and you can get pieces from peoples yards. No one cares. There are some truely spectacular specimens to be found in the oddest places.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We put one in the ground in Tijunga about 5 years ago and it's about the size of a soceer ball now.
Keep on eye out for a golden yellow spined variety call Ferocactus latispinus v. auriespinus.
It's a stunner.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I'll remember that when the weather warms up enough to mail things without risk of them freezing en route. It's hard to emagine these plants growing in people's yards. I know some cacti are hardy like our native one and a couple that grow in Idaho, but I would be afraid to take a chance leaving any others outside without knowing for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.