OK last Succulent ID for a bit.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's the last of the tenant leavings that I can't even get started w/.
It looks slightly like my Kalanchoe thyrsiflora but I'm sure that's WAY off!

Thumbnail by henryr10
Valley Village, CA

Hi again, Does this planat have some faint horzonital stripes on the leaves, and a bloom. (white chalk like coating) with more sun, which I think your plants need, more definition will show, and it would be easier to ID.

I'm going out on a limb, from what I can see but can't feel, measure, look at Gastonis-Bonnieri and see if we have a match. If I'm right it will get very big leaves that look like burro's ears. Mine is coming into flower at this time, weird bell type, little color at this time, they haven't opened yet. If I,m correct, it will make a good basket plant, and all it's hard over the net, I used to touching and feeling, seeing and smelling the plants. Tell me about the stem on this plant, is it four sided? MVR can you come up with a picture for him on this specie? Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll reshot the picture Norma.
It's changed in shape now.
Then stem is round and there are faint white streaks on the leaf. There is also a faint rose or purple blush.

I'll get a shot up this evening.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's a better and newer shot.
The leaves have a fine fuzzy down and a slight pink blush.
Also faint fine white irregular streaks.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

no it is not K. thyrsiflora http://www.cactuscenter.com/r_22.html , - this plant is growing in full sun.

here is another one growing in the shade http://www.southerntropicals.com/galleries/Succulants/pages/Kalanchoe%20thyrsiflora_jpg.htm

i am lost on this one as it is growing irregularly. must be some type of echeveria or jade plant? maybe try again when it is in normal growth. the plant on both photo is growing spread out due to lack of light.

Valley Village, CA

The first link shows Kalanchoe luciae and will have white flowers, Taken out of Dr. Toelkens book. The first picture is definitely not a 'Jade Plant' Crassula ovata.
It could easily be an Echevieria x with no light.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I have a named K. thyrsiflora and I'm sure this isn't one. The problem w/ irregular growth is sorting itself out. It's now getting about 6 hours of sun and I'm supporting that by also having it under lights. So we'll see how it looks in a couple of weeks.

My main strengths in Succulents are Agave, Sedum, Semps., Epis. and true Cactus. The Gasteria, Crass., and others are a whole new ballgame for me. So I'm reading everything I can get my hands on.
I do enjoy listening to you all and am picking up many tips and ideas. Keep them coming. Feel free to email me w/ any ideas also.

Thanks, Ric

Valley Village, CA

Ric, you can get ideas from old catalogues. Ask for free ones. Many dealers will send you free ones, but the old ones are the best. The new formats on the catalogues I don't like at all. Join a group of collectors, that is really where you will lean. There are groups you can join and get journals that will help you learn, here is a book store listing catalogue Brooks Books.
brooksbk@netvista.net. I have a few more address of places that sell books, there is one place in Africa that had a fine collection of Aloe books. I have several book shops here in Calif. that I can look up for you. I get used books, the information is still the same new or used. There will not much available on Crassula. Haworthias, there will be three major works, and another book you should not be with out is a standard, not in print "Lexicon of Succulent Plants", Hermann Jacobsen. "Flora of Southern Africa" by H.R. Tolken
Volume 14 he write on the Crassulacae species, in Africa, not in the new world. Ric this is enough for tonight. How about you asking me questions, and I'll help out. There is a new Crassula book out by Gordon Rowley, all of Gordon's books are well written and thorough. He is a cactus man however. Pilbeam is a good author writes on every thing. The Cactus File Handbooks are great, each is on a different subject.

Ray Stevenson's book on Sedum is a standard, a must. Another must is Steven Hammers books on all species of Mesembryanthemaceae is another must if you like the geneua. (spelling) oh oh. Enough, is enough, Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

THANKS!
I will look for these books at the library.
They have a pretty good selection of reference books.

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.