Hi from Washingington State

Las Vegas , NV(Zone 8a)

Hi- I found this website during our weeklong snow and ice storm, the worst in 10 years. I am a fairly new gardener, learning to deal with clay soil, a shady wet side yard and more shade than sun! I am looking forward to finishing landscaping our 1 yr new home--I have a several bare spots just waiting for something besides bare barkdust. What are some of your favorites you might suggest?

Kenbridge, VA(Zone 7b)

Welcome brantley, so you've got clay too!

Potentilla is a shrub that tolerates partial shade but I'm not sure which zone.

Siberian Spirea (Sibiraea laevigata) is a landscape shrub that, as its name hints, is native to Siberia. It's ideal for areas in full sun or partial shade with sandy or clay loam soil and likes moderate to dry moisture levels. The shrub, which grows 4 to 5 feet high and 6 to 8 feet wide, sports white flowers in June and has gray-green foliage. Suitable in USDA zones 4-8, up to 7,000 feet.

The Mesa Verde (tm) Ice Plant (Delosperma 'Kelaidis' PPAF Mesa Verde (tm)) is a compact perennial that produces iridescent, salmon-pink flowers. It reaches about 2 feet in height, 1 foot in width and likes full sun to partial shade in areas with garden loam, clay or gravely soil and moderate watering. For USDA zones 5-9

Apache Plume (Fallugia paradoxa) is a shrub native to the southwest with pale pink and white blossoms from May to September. It sports feathery-pink seed heads in the winter. This shrub grows 4 to 6 feet tall and 4 to 6 feet wide in full sun to partial shade. It likes moderate to dry water levels and sandy soil or clay loam. It grows in USDA zones 4-8.

AMQUAIL LESPEDEZA - Fast-growing, perennial, leguminous shrub to 8' tall. Produces large quantities (500 lbs/acre) of small hard seed, valuable for late-season consumption. High-quality quail food. Resistant to deer browsing. Starts producing the second year. USDA release. Top dies back each winter. Provides excellent cover. Best on medium to clay soils, tolerates somewhat sandy soils. Hardy in zones (5) 6-8. Plant size - live roots with 18" dead tops.

Happy Gardening!
Steph

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Welcome to Dave's garden. I'm your neighbor in Oregon, across the Columbia plus about 300 miles over on the dry side. Azaleas and Rhododendron come to mind for shade, also hosta and impatients. I don't have much shade, mostly sun over here.

Welcome, Brantley75! I know you will receive wonderful suggestions here about how to deal with clay soil. The people at DG are so knowledgeable and friendly. Enjoy!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

hi brantly75. welcome to daves garden from a new yorker.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi and welcome from IA! Lots of info to be found here at DG to answer all your gardening questions.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Hi Brantley,

Hope you enjoy your time at Daves. I've been here for a couple of years +. I can't even begin to tell you how much I have learned and how many new friends I've met. This is the best gardening spot on the web.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Welcome Brantley, This really is a great place with tons of helpful, friendly people.

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Welcome from yet another Iowan! You will find this the friendliest Garden Spot on the planet.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Welcome!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

brantley75, Welcome to Daves!! We are probably neighbors and only a block apart. I too am in Vancouver, WA USA! Been here at Daves for 9 months. Great investment. I am west of I-5. Where are you?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Welcome, Brantley, from another Washingtonian!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Welcome Brantley from Seattle, WA......
Regarding your clay soil and your search for plants suitable
My first suggestions would be hardy fucshia, buddleia (butterfly bush) azalea, rhoddies, wild ginger, mums, asters....all of these I grow in an area of my yard that is nothing but nasty clay under a couple yummy cherry trees....lots of shade and lots of 'wet'
Good luck and happy gardening :-)

RikerBear

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

welcome!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Yup! another Iowan saying welcome! P.S.potentillas are hardy here if you're wondering. :)

Crossville, TN

Howdy and WELCOME...Jo

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Hope you enjoy it here as much as we will enjoy getting to know you.
A big welcome from Mighigan
Alice

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Hello Brantley75! Warm welcome from central Iowa!

Lakeview, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome, welcome, welcome, You will love it here.

Las Vegas , NV(Zone 8a)

Hi Anastasia! I moved to the 'Couv from Portland about 18 months ago. We are near Hewlett Packard in the Fishers Landing area. I am excited to exchange my barkdust with some green living things that are easy to grow...besides rhodies! I watch these forums so far: vines, roses, shade, water gardens and daylilies. What are some of your successes. Any suggestions?
PS Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome. It truly is an inspiration for a new gardener!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

brantley75, try lots of other forums. RECIPES has lots of great stuff related to food (recipes) and questions. Health and Beauty, Gen Discussion, Garden talk great too. I also watch the Container Gard.and Shady G, Landscaping during growing season. All of them make for great conversation and a wealth of information from marvelous folk.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

A big HI from Idaho! Waving to you here. I agree with anastatia that you need to look at many forums here to get an idea of what is offered and meet more people. Have fun mainly though. See ya in the forums!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

welcome from another michigander!!!!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

welcome from 'up north' in marysville

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

Howdy from down south. Glad to have you brantley.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.