Next Succulent ID

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well as I said I'm going to be running a bunch of these little guys thru here for ID.
Most I aquired when a friend had a tenant move out and leave a bunch of plants.
They've been neglected and are a bit scarred up but after a repot and a little pest control seem to be responding quite well.

Here's the next one.

Thumbnail by henryr10
High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

it is an Echeveria Topsy Turvy http://www.textureplants.co.nz/succulent_echeveria.html

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

MaVieRose,
Thank you!
Now that the plant has grown out from the above shot stage it matches up perfectly!

Ric

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

u're very welcome Ric. it is always a pleasure to give a helping hand :).

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Since the last shot I've increased the light and given it a little shot of 'Cactus Juice'.
I think it liked it.
Not bad for one week.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Ric ... since i see some dry leaves @ the bottom, could it be possible topsy turvy have babies underneath the mother plant? it is the time of the year for them to be doing that. it does not hurt to check. pls keep them on the dry side cuz aphids are prune to appear also during these months. just a thought.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

MVR,
No babies yet.

I checked all my plants very carefully last weekend.
I am over-Wintering about 300 plants indoors so bug watch is a must. I did find a mealie or two on a cactus and a few pill bugs but that's about it.

I have kept it very much on the dry side.
I plan on moving all my new Succulents to terra cotta pots this weekend so that will help on the water issue also.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm a newbie w/ these so any tips help.

Ric

Valley Village, CA

MaVieRose you are absoulty right. Good advise. I guess I should check mine as well, it is growing in the ground outside along a redwood post. The cold hasn't hurt it yet.

The lowest we got this year perhaps 40F it did damage on things not covered meaning a thick shade cloth or under a tree. This has been the mildest winter ever. Kalanchoe got hit hard, most of the thin leaf plants did. The cactus just laughed. They will bloom well in the spring.

Ric, for a beginner you're doing just fine. But I want overtime pay, and I think MaVie Rose has worked overtime as well, and earned hers as well.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Norma, remember the thousands of rare cacti and succulent collection i lost? well, i am starting all over again from scratch.

i have started collecting rare cacti and succulents as a small child in the Philippines. when i was coerse to move to the US, i began the lost collection in Los Angeles for over 30 yrs.

now, i am starting all over.

i am not really working hard on trying to find these species that Ric and others post cause i am very familiar with all of them. modesty aside, i think i have grown them all once in my lifetime. and it does not hurt to start all over again.

if anyone will be kind enough to share, i can trade some with the few i got at hand, or if not, i can pay postage. i surely miss all the plants i lost 5-6 yrs. ago.

Valley Village, CA

I remember when you lost them. I have 7,000 plants now, all collected the past 7 years. I learned so much from this forum. I look up every plant I try to help with.
Since I've volunteered at the Huntington Gardens for the past 10 years and worked with them daily I really started learning their names, and realize that you can't just guess at names, it takes time to research them. I hate taking the guesses, I rather hold the plant in my hand. I plant grown correctly looks intirely different than what Ric is showing up, I think I grow my Crassula right, but when I saw them in Africa, I hardly recognized them at all. I have a collection of over 300 Haworthia, I would love to compair with something I know is correct, like the Huntington Collection. I purchased all of my plants, or the Huntington gave them to me, because I have put in so many hours. I keep only one plant of each species. Some are just plain Jane's others are very rare. So I send rare leaves to Steven Hammer so he will start them for me. I try to keep a duplicate collection of the Huntington, in case any of their go down, I am able to replace their lost plants.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

succulents are very easy to duplicate. a mere leaf can become a new plant in no time at all, specially in the case of echeverias and other leafy succulents.

in this case, take a leaf of the topsy turvy, leave the leaf on the ground, in no time, it will become a new plant. sometime new babies are also formed at the bottom of the branch of the mother plants. if not the flowering axils do tend to produce baby plants after blooming too. at least some specie do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.