New Ferrocactus Shot

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Anyone care to help me carry my Ferrocactus out to the yard this Spring?
Please bring your own armor!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Looks like a job for cast iron gloves. Make you a deal. You come help me transplant some of my thorny friends and I will drag that out to the yard. You will laugh, but I have a thick cardboard apron that I use when working with the things.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
To be in San Diego right now, as it's 20 degrees here, I would gladly dig Cactus!
I use a leather welding vest and gloves when it's moving day!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

That's a real defense plant. How big is it? Does it bloom?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

We had some BIG old barrel cacti on our property when I was a kid. Made the mistake of not watching where I was going when playing tag one day. The result is not one of my fondest memories.

It is currently 75 degrees here and dry. I have been out watering and repotting today. Some of the poor seedlings were looking toasty. In about a month, the desert should be blooming. It is quite a show.

Valley Village, CA

Make an apron out of rug scraps. Be sure to get tongs, the kind that is used in kitchens. They come in different sizes.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

MaryE,
It's a Ferocactus wislizenii and currently about 11" across from the outside of the spines.
As it's in a 6 1/2" pot the REALLY fun job of repotting will take place this Spring.
The 'Hooks' are about 2" long now.
I had one that was 18" across years ago.
They flower a golden yellow w/ red but this one hasn't yet bloomed.
I've seen them at 5' tall so I still have a LONG ways to go here.

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.