Pretty Iris at this site

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

www.schreinersgardens.com is a 3rd generation flower farm, they have so many iris, just beautiful to see. They have a full color online catalog if you want to go drool over all the pretty ones you don't have yet.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Sure, make me droll while Spring is an eternity away...

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Three years ago I ordered a special from them and asked that they hold it for a couple of months until my backyard was completed. When it was time they told me that they had sold all of their specials (even though I had paid for mine) and they only had brown and orange ones left. It left a bad taste in my mouth for them.

Nasty! If you paid for them Pins, your order should have been marked & set aside. NOT a good business practice!
Don't they know all us gardeners talk?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Pins, why don't you call them and explain the situation, maybe they would reconsider and make it right. After all, gardeners do talk and a few $ worth of goodwill goes a long way. It's worth a try don't you think?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I did talk to them. They said that even though I paid for them, that other people wanted the same irises sooner and they hadn't put mine aside and at the time I wanted them they didn't have those available. They did return my money, so I wasn't out anything. I just didn't think it was right. But, what else was I to do?

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay, MaryE, I just spent way too much time at the site you have recommended! I also picked out (but haven't ordered...yet) 24 irises I have to have! I will have to make some definate choices here because it adds up to way to much money! Also, I've ordered the Eureka Guide and won't buy till that comes!

LimeyLisa Kay

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Okay, share. Which ones are you about to order. Any rebloomers?

Does Schreiners ship in the spring? I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I have room for more colors. Come to think of it, I'd rather trade if possible. I know I have some duplicate clumps.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Do you get their catalogue in the mail? Talk about "eye candy"! They probably have the same pictures on the web site, but who ever sat back in the armchair and curled up with a good web site? LOL

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I've requested a catalog but haven't recieved it yet. So far I've just gone to their online catalog and drool until the keyboard is wet. Why does winter last so long?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

They only ship July-October though, so this is going to be some longterm drooling right? I can't imagine anyone CHOOSING to ship plants in the middle of the summer, but I guess iris are different?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Since they bloom in early summer I think they are pretty much dormant in late summer. I can remember driving past Shreiners iris fields in May and seeing wide bands of color. A couple of months is plenty for the foliage to feed the rhizomes and then the leaves start to get brown edges. I think that is when they dig them. If you put them into your garden in late summer they have time to get their roots established so they will be off to a good start the following spring. We tend to think of plants as being only dormant in winter but many plants are dormant in summer here, like the wild creeping phlox that bloom out in the hills and just go to sleep a month later, and also some wild lilies that just disappear shortly after they bloom.

I have moved many of my iris in Spring & still get great blooms. I clip the old leaves down to 6 inches in April when I clean my gardens. I try to dig them when only 2 inches or less tall of new growth. I've moved irises early for years & still gotten blooms. I just never seem to get it all done in fall, or change my mind in the spring.

Now that I think of it, I move many of my perennials up until the hot part of summer--mid July --and daylilies ANYTIME!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I went to their site & ordered a catalog. It is small fold up but man, is it packed w/some awesome blooms!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I got my free catalog today. *drooooooooooooooooooool* I asked my DH, 'why do I tell people to send me things like this?!?!??' *sigh* I'm just glad I don't bother to make a budget. lol

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My non computer neighbor came over one day last week and we spent a lot of time looking at the online catalog. Her tastes run to the more expensive ones (of course since she is monitarily challenged!)

My tastes run to the expensive ones too--i just can't follow with my pocket book! As Spring gets closer, I'm starting to think about all the new blooms I will get to see this year. That is, if the darned dog doesn't break them off running thru my flower beds!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.