Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

This just came fedex today from Hawaii. Just out of the box. It traveled very well. Beautiful and the blossoms are so fragrant. I just wanted to share.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

One of my teachers say that in some places here in Brazil, to the countryside, you can see lots of Zygopetalums growing wild along road lanes. If I ever have the chance to see one...

Mono, that would be so lovely, if you ever come across them, let me know, I'll be down to see them.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I just found this kind of orchid a Target about 3 weeks ago. They wanted $25 for a 4" pot so I decided to pass. They are gorgeous, though!

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

There´s an interesting phenomenon that happens with Zygopetaluns that I always wanted to observe. When the flowers are fertilized, instead of drying the petals off like other orchids, they just stay there, and become more and more green. The flower starts to make photosynthesis by its own, which apparently helps on the development of the seed pod.

Well Mono, that's got to be sight to see, but it didn't happen on my Zygo's. As a matter of fact, the bad news is, people say they may never bloom again for me in this climate. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

That's pretty cool about the petals turning green and photosynthesizing. It never ceases to amaze me what Mother Nature comes up with!

This zygo was the second one, the first one didn't travel very well. All the buds fell off so the Orchid Lady replaced it for me.

So much for not thriving in Fla. The first zygo that didn't do the trip well has been sitting on a cement block in my front yard among philodendron & sweet potato vine getting watered but otherwise ignored. I noticed the other day it had buds on it, and today, one opened up. The petals are green. So I am thrilled that its surviving and that it's grown it's second set of buds/blooms in 5 months.

(dh has camera in the Bahamas til Monday nite, I will post a picture when he returns.)

Got the camera back now. Here's that reblooming zygo

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.