Unknown Aloe

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Which aloe species is this?

Thumbnail by Kelli

Here is a closer picture of the flowers.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

My first thought was a mature Aloe variegata but you already have entered a picture of that in Database.
My ID books are at home. If you don't get an answer by this evening I'll check it out.

Ric

This plant is larger than Aloe variegata and does not have the white edge along the leaves. The teeth on the leaves are pretty fierce. I always end up cutting myself when weeding around this plant and keeping it from overrunning the iris. It gets regular water (good soaking once a week) and it grows and spreads like gangbusters. It blooms pretty much continuously from October to April.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

My guess is Aloe saponaria... has similar flowers and shape,size,color of leaves. And it is probably one of the most commonly used landscaping Aloes. However, there are a lot of rarer Aloes that look a bit like that. Here's some without flowers, but if you check out Google.com Images you can find the flowers.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Aloe saponaria was going to be my guess also.
My computer went down last night before I could post.
My book shows the difference between A. sap. and A. zebrina other than the slight flower difference, as sap. has a more gracful and thinner leaf. Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart when not in flower.

Aloe saponaria looks like what it is. Thanks guys! I kinda doubt that it would be anything too "exotic". I got it from a friend in Arizona and he didn't have any succulents that were particularly unusual. (His love was trees.)

Valley Village, CA

You are good both of you, I also agree, I have this plant, and yes it spreads fast. I pulled mine up two years ago, and today I found a runner about two feet away from the orginial plants location. I'm so glad that you includedd the pictures, I have several different species that are from the Aloe Saponaria complex. I can't identify Aloe even from the flowers, I know experts that can't either. Now that both of you know what it is I will go to my books and look it up.

Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.