One Lone Iris

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I haven't seen these bloom since the end of summer. I turned around in the garden today and there it was. I bought some of these from a local nursery last year. They said it was african iris, but I don't find this in the data base. Any thoughts?

In any event, even tho I'm in zone 10B, an iris is a pleasant surprise in January.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Very cool. =)

I believe this is your iris
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Iridaceae/Dietes_vegeta.html

Cheri'

Thanks Cheri'. It is an african iris but not listed in the PDB as such. It's shown only as Fortnight Lily. Maybe we should have that added. Think I will. Again, thanks much!!!!

Molly

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

What a pretty one it is, thanks for showing it to us.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I have them blooming too. I can't believe they are not in the database. Mine are about ready to be divided. They will take over as much territory as you will allow. I have a yellow one too that I have always called a peacock lily but now I wonder if that is what it really is. Gotta go do some reasearch.

I divided mine in the fall. Gave some to my neighbor for her barren yard. We'll get her backyard flowered up yet. LOL

Molly

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

Hehe read my 'negative' comments on dietes in the PlantsDB.

I just dug a big clump up last weekend. I though it was cute at first (a few years ago) then it got motherly (or fatherly, if you prefer), and decided to spread its seeds (which look pretty neat) into the fertile wasteland of my garden. When they were 3 inches tall, I thought, "Cool! some baby glads." or "Oooh, I wonder what color these irises will be." A year goes by. Never wilted. Never lost leaves. Never died back. Now 12 inches tall. Hmm... those aren't irises... those are Dietes! Ack there's 70 little plants in every nook, cranny, crown, and bush on the lot! In the roots of my Buddleia. Under the Carex buchananii. Inside the lavender.

GRRRRR! There is a reason why these are planted en masse in parking lots in California. Plant them, forget them, and no maintenence required.... as long as you don't want anything else.

Your mileage may vary. G/L

P.S. I still have a giant clump growing between the fence and a couple of rose bushes. Sigh. It can be someone else's problem when I move on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.