my home made GH 7x15x9

this is the GH I made from old 2x12 floor beams cut down to 2x4s then covered with 6mil plastic doubled.

Thumbnail by troy

another view

Thumbnail by troy

it is built over a window so the GH and the house exchange heat

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Troy... I see a chimney vent pipe coming from the Gh roof. Is that a heat source in the Gh, or from the house and run through the GH?

Your GH looks good. I love recycling building materials (actually, recycling any materials that I can).

there is a small wood stove in the GH and it also helps in the house when i have it going.
right now the thermostate in the living room (on the other side of the house) is set at 68 and the temp is 71

This message was edited Jan 1, 2004 7:28 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cool! Do you keep a fire in it overnight?

i try to keep fire in it as much as possable

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Seeeeee, I knew you would be okay!! I am so glad you ended up with your own greenhouse! So what do you want to grow for me? hehehehehe Congrats!!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Troy, goodlooking greenhouse. Is this the first season for it? How to you keep it from getting too warm. What size is it. What are you planning to grow in it. GH's are great fun. I love going out to mine, it is about 35 feet from my backdoor. A lean-to type on NE side of garage. Donna

rutholive: yes this is the first season it has been finished about 2 months. to keep it from getting to warm it was built at a window which i have a fan in that blows in air from the house and pushes warm air into the house hopefully keeping the heat bill for the house down. but in the down side when there is no fire it gets heat from the house. I am hopingg there is mmore heat going to the house than coming from it. the base is 7x15 the front is about 5 feet and the back is about 10 feet

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Troy, I was wondering about a woodstove to use in our future greenhouse. Do you have any trouble with your woodstove bothering the plants in any kind of way? I want this to be either a back up source for us in case the electric goes out. we have our plants in our garage right now, one whole side of the garage is nothing but windows, and it's connected to our house, with a window and a back door inside the garage. I keep both open all the time, even the back door, we heat with wood in the house. and I use a fan to get heat to the garage. I don't really have a problem with the plants and the wood stove there. I try not to let the temps get below 50 but it did get below that last night. I've heard alot of folks say not to use a wood stove in the greenhouse. But I don't want a high electric bill, and we are total electric here. I do have a insufficient light problem in the garage even with all the windows, I have florescent lights up everywhere. I also posted a few min ago, about what kind of floor to put in one, what kind of floor do you have in yours?

thanks for the help

kathy_ann

who's hoping to get her greenhouse soon.

kathy_ann here goes
question: I was wondering about a woodstove to use in our future greenhouse. Do you have any trouble with your woodstove bothering the plants in any kind of way?
answer: not that i can tell at this time. a few of the plants that were to close to the stove got a bit wilted but i moved them and they seen to do fine. i also notices a fine cover of dust probably ahs from removing ashes or stering coals when it is low but that washes away when i water. there is also another grower at the market i am at and she also heats with wood and has no problems that i know of.

statment: I've heard alot of folks say not to use a wood stove in the greenhouse.
response: i know a few that DO use wood to help with heating and no one that i know that does has said anything negitive.

statement: But I don't want a high electric bill, and we are total electric here.
response: we have gas heat and i don't want a high gas bill eather. that is why i have the wood stove in the GH and a fan in the window going to the house. when there is no fire the house heats the GH and when there is a fire the GH helps to heat the house. I am also counting on solar heat in the spring when the temp outide still requires heat in the house but pushes the heat in the GH up and the fan wil put the extra heat in the house and at the same time hopefuly keep the GH from getting to hot

question: what kind of floor do you have in yours?
answer: well in the old GH it was just a dirt floor,this one i built on a cement slab that was already there

hope this helps

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Absolutely Troy, thanks a million, Think I will go for a woodstove since I already have the stove. LOL

kathy_ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.