Epiphyllum

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

I am wanting to get a few leaves to start epiphyllum. Does anyone know a source that I might obtain these from? I've started them like this before, and it was really easy. I bought the basket, now all I have to do is get the leaves to fill her up.

Valley Village, CA

Do you want native species, or hybrids? This will make the difference. I think I have native F/C species from Myron Kimnach that he collected 30 years ago in the jungles. I don't know which is which, they don't have flat leaves, they do have spines, and smaller flowers, I wouldn't mind at all sharing them. I have no hybrids. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I hope this is okay with Dave to put on here. I found this place that carries a nice selection of Epi.

Lauray of Salisbury (860) 435-2263 Call and get a catalogue, she may have a min. order

I'll look for a few more. Norma

Mesilla Park, NM

I ordered some from Epi's by Pat. She sent some that were rooted so that made me very happy. There is a place called Bob Smoley's (he does have a web site bobsmoleys.com )that sells cuttings for 2.00 and up, the source that gave me the info said he was a little slow in shipping but that they were good cuttings. Have been thinking of ordering some for myself. I have had alot of trouble with roof rats and have lost several epi's to them, they ate my RicRac Epi and just left me nubs of the others.

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

I am not particular as to type, just love the look of the plants. I'll look into the sources, thanks!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Norma,
I'm looking for species versions myself.
I'll contact you when the weather gets a little more conducive to shipping if that's all right.

Ric

Valley Village, CA

Rick and Spacecowgirl,

That suit me just fine. The species ones I don't have the names for. Perhaps I'll take them to the Huntington and they will be able to ID them. I'll put them out in the sunlight, and perhaps get them to flower, then you will know what we have. I have one the spirals, and the stems are red at this time. I must start spraying it with a fungicide it really needs it. I would love to send these out, I'm not that interested in raising them.

I may have a rick-rack type, again this is from memory, so must look in the greenhouse, that is where I keep them.
If not, I can get a new cutting, They came from Bill Baker, who was on that plant exploration with the Huntington Group, he was a young man at that time and went up the trees for Myron Kimnach the ex curator of the Huntington Gardens. This was I believe in the early 1980s. I need to call him anyway, I'll see if he remembers what year it was.

I will pull the index cards on these just to make sure what I'm talking about, memory is not so good. I was 72 young yesterday. I sure am having fun in my old age, and looking forward to another 20+ years, it's getting better all the time. I can flirt and tease all the young men, and because of my age I don't scare them to death thinking that I'm hitting on them. I'm safe, been married for 52 years, not planning to trade him in either.

If you kids pay the postage I happy to send out plants, I don't accept money from the forum people, just postage. When they run out, then they are all gone. I will only send out 6" cuts however. First come first serve. Remember when I run out I'm out of them. I don't play favorites even though I've adopted Ric he will need to get in the que. Norma

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I would love some of your cuttings and the names or colors if you know them. I have white I can teade or just send for the postage. Have a white 10"+ bloom. I Love epiphyllums and they are not easy to find. I have had only white for 10 years.
Love,
Sandy

Valley Village, CA

Sandy and group, I know where you can get named species for I think $3.00 each. These are established plants.
If you are interested email me privately. Remember I do not sell at all to forum people. I will cut up what I have, mine are jungle species, and not the new cultivars.

Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.