Here's my homade 10x12 greenhouse

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Its 4 inch pvc pipe with a wood frame under the pvc pipe as well,6mil uv plastic outside the pvc pipe,and under the treated wood as well gives me 4 inch dead air space.I heat it with a electric 4ft oil filled base raditior heater,with a natural gas comfort glow heater as a back up in case of power failure.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

more pics

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

another pic

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Nite time pic,I keep lights going 12 hours on a timer on all my tropicals

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Very Nice.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was spent in time and materials?

I'm looking at several different options for doing one my self without buying a kit.

Chris

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Chris if memory serves me right,$80.00 dollars for pvc pipe,bought at home depot,wood was like $60.00 dollars, the 2x12's were the most expense,the rubber floor liner is a rubber roof liner around $30.00 and the plastic,I bought enough to do it twice,I think was $128.00.Including the plastic battan to attach the plastic 6mil to the wood with a stapler.

$128.00
$80.00
$60.00
$30.00
_______
$298.00

Somwhere in that range take a dollar or two!
Went up very fast,weekend at the most,if you have the tools
to cut the wood,like a miter saw,hack saw cut the pvc pipe.
Hope this helps you.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Something that is very important that I forgot to mention,this greenhouse design was to hold out the very cold
and keep the inside warm at a minimum expense.Here's how it works,4 inch dead air space,between the wood 2x4's,by that I mean there is 6 mil plastic under and on top of the 2x4's,then above the 2x4's is 4 inch pvc pipe frame with 6 mil uv plastic,which makes another 4 inch dead air space,so total 8 inch dead air space.All that plastic you'd think keeps the sun out,but I have plumerias and brugs blooming most of the winter in there.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Tropicman, looks great. You have a door at each end, for ventilation, is that right. I only have 6" of dead air space around mine. It is 8 1/2 years old, and I need to think about redoing the inside plastic sheeting as there are a few tears showing up. i have tried to retape them but I know air is leaking. Donna

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Donna,
Well mine is just going thru its third winter,and they said the plastic 6mil uv protected was only good for 4 years,but it seems to be holding up real well,but are March winds are very brutal here,so I hope it makes it thru this rest of this ok.
If you have leaks it,takes more electricty to maintain the 50* minimun temperature.
Yes I have doors at each end for good ventiation,but run a small 10inch fan in there 16 hours a day.
Don

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Tropicman, I also have a small fan, but never shut it off. Helps to prevent mildew. I didn't go out to the GH yesterday, the wind was so awful with the low temp. I just went out to check on things. The snow had drifted around the corner to east end of garage and GH. About 3 or 4 inches deep. I has been so cold I could just walk on top of the snow. My PB brug is just a bout finished blooming. I pruned one branch back to 7 or so inches and put it in a tube pot to try to get it to root.

I have a more than 40 year old Jade plant in a 12" clay pot, the stalk at the base is about 7" in diameter, it is about 4 feet tall. Always blooms for Christmas. Very pretty. I can't send any pictures, am still having problems with my computer and ISP. Don't have enough memory to do anything with photos. Hope to get that problem fixed soon. Donna

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Donna your right I shouldn't shut my fan off either,but it brings the humidity back up in there when its off,then in the morning it comes back on,the temps rise,when the sun hits the plastic and brings the humidity levels down,but having plants that need high levels of humidity,that was my thought of shuting it off at nite,but so far,no fungus has showed up in there as of yet.
Whats the trick in getting the jade to bloom?
Mine doesn't.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.