Whats in your greenhouse this winter?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Just about everything you can imagine!!
Bananas for sure!!!Thats 9ft of trunk!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

More Bananas, passion flowers,plumerias.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

How about Birds of paradise,philodenron sellum,monstera..

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

More bananas in outside greenhouse too!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

This is really cool! You have so great plants. Your greenhouse is very nice.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I just have a few plants in there....

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Mitjo.
Crestedchik,a few hundred!!!LOL
Any minute now a jeep will drive out of your greenhouse,just like in the commerical!!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Actually,I've just thined it down ,it doesent look like that now...I've been stripping the brug leaves and a bunch of the nanas are in the house....so it doesent look quite so bad now,I can actually walk in it now.the small things were getting too shaded,and I couldn't see buds ,blooms or seedpods.....

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL!I too had to do some thining for the same reason,those big banana leaves shade alot of smaller things,and the brug leaves were getting quite thick.I spray soapy water about once a week to keep the bug population at bay,and with some of the leaves gone I get a better job done when theres lest to spray.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Still have plumies since October blooming.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

My plumeria,was blooming when I moved it in but evey bud seems to fall off........

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

What do you use for heat? If I could heat mine reasonably, I'd keep it running all winter. Might have to make a wind break for it though.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi crestedchik,
My red plumeria flower stem fell off today when I opened the door and the wind came swirling thru!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Brugie,
Went out and took a pic for you,its a iol filled raditator base heater,it has a thermostat,keeps it warm just find for any tropical,runs on 110 standard outlet,for back up I have a small gas heater.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

here's the gas heater.just in case I lose electricity

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Shoot, I have one of those laying around not being used. Thanks.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

And a windbreak makes a big difference on the temperature inside.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm talking about my separate greenhouse that is only an 8x10 in size. I have it insulated with greenhouse bubble insulation, but when the wind howls, it cools pretty quickly, especially when the sun goes down.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes this is my seperate greenhouse 10x12,the ones with the heater in it.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

brugie check it out,greenhouse pics
http://davesgarden.com/t/412624/

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I saw that thread. That one little electric heater keeps it warm enough? How cold do you get? We can get below zero pretty easy here and with the winds, it could really be hard to heat mine. My greenhouse is fiberglass panels with the bubble insulation. At zero with two 1500 watt heaters, I can keep it at about 50 degrees. With winds, I don't know.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well the secret is the 4 inch dead air space,then the tarp wind break knocks the cold wind from it completely,and top that its between my house and the neighbors house,black rubber liner takes in the heat from the sun ,yes it gets below zero here too,it is just well insulated from all the dead air space the roof and the sides have the dead air space,I just went and grab the remote themostat,that tells what the temp. is outside in my greenhouse,its in the 30's outside and still 80* inside the greenhouse.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

80 degrees??? Why aren't you camped out in there???? lol That must cost you a fortune!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

No not really those oil filled raditators use less electricity and are safer too boot!
It's the dead air space that does the trick.
I think 4 inches is the best distance on dead air space,really holds back the cold!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks. This is good to know. I think I know what I'm going to be doing on the next nice day.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

tropicman, Is the sun shining to help get the temp up to 80 or is it just by your heater. i heat with a 1500 or 3400 electric heater. But never have had to turn it up to the maximum. I try to keep it between 50 and 55. However my electric bill quadrupled for the past two months. Am heating the GH, have a fluorescent light out in the Bonsai storage room, for the seedling brugs that are out there. have a cattle trough floating heater in my lily pool that has the goldfish. Had a lot of Christmas lights (but that will mostly be on next bill).. Two more months of large electric bill then will slowly go down again. But I love my GH. Donna

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Donna,the greenhouse is so well insulated from the 8 inches of dead space,that it holds the heat in there very well,but once the sun hits it in the morning the temps climb very fast inside,it really heats up fast,like everything under polyplastic,and the black rubber liner that I have on the floor,catches and holds the heat also.
I also have flourescent lights in there which helps somewhat with maintaining a minimun amount of heat as well.
The tarp wind break helps a great deal,keeping the cold north wind from robbing any heat from the greenhouse,and if you keep you house full of plants,it takes less heat to heat your greenhouse.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

That is so true, tropicman! The more occupants,(plants, the less heat!) But 80 degrees??? Mine is an oil fired heater and an extra electric heater and the temps are around 60-65! I have a high patio wall on the North side and this is good! You are correct in saying when the sun is out in morn-noon the temps shoot up considerably! Elaine

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Elaine,its worse tonite,its 85* inside at almost 9pm,altho it was in the 60's today here,my greenhouse design really holds the heat,I guess I'm lucky that it does!
I thought about the design a lot,and researched a litte about dead air space,and know I know that it works,better than I ever imagined it would.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

:~b ...... :~)

And before I said you had what I could only dream of!!!!
(It's a gorgeous collection you have)...will have to try
building one with that dead air space so I could put
plants out earlier in the spring.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2004 9:17 AM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Lil,
You'll be glad you did,and it will be most effiect,when it comes to cost saving.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I've bookmarked your other thread as well :)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I do have 6" of dead air space, but i know after almost 9 years I must replace the inside I think it was 6mil. Last night-early this morning temp. minus 3 degrees. With a north wind temp. in the GH got down to 42 degrees, but now at 9:15, with the sun shining it is back to 52. We have yet another night to expect very cold weather. I am studying seed and plant catalogs!!!!!!!!!!! Donna

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Donna,23* here,windchill 9*,Brrrr! Real cloudy out,30 mph north winds,just looked 68* inside.

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Okay...its raining cats and dogs for the third day straight...what can I say!

Thumbnail by Kaufmann
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

With all them flowers I'd be a smiling!!!
Raining here too,and we need the rain badly!
But 3 days,is plenty,when its been 39 days,I'd be a worring!!LOL!

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Aren't they pretty? I just love having blooms in the Winter, and my home is filled with other blooming plants...

Thank goodness for well-drained soil. That much rain is not unusual for us, we just generally don't have it like this in January. But, we do need it!!! Its again in the 60's here, but I'm sure it will drop again soon.

Hoping for a nice day to all!!!

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

one ghouse

Thumbnail by DeepRoots
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Looks a little ferny to me!!LOLMaybe Boston,or Queens Sword fern?

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

1,700 Bostons.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.