Amaryllis Problems

Irving (Dallas area), TX(Zone 8a)

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem with my amaryllis (Hippeastrum)? I started three bulbs about 3 months ago. One of them put on a couple of large leaves, and now the leaves are starting to turn yellow from the tips downward, whereas the other two bulbs haven't put on any leaves at all. I'd appreciate any ideas you might have.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

Depending on where you bought them.........Amaryllis need one good drink right after potting. The do not water anymore until you see the sprout come out. Leaves will appear in the middle of the bulb, sprouts will appear on one or both sides of the leaves.

Always water on the saucer, never on top. Preferably use luke warm water.

Then you may have some slow ones......Amaryllis are just like kids....one walks with 10 months and the other takes 16 months.

If they are big enough, they will flower. Be patient.

Irving (Dallas area), TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks bleek. Now I just hope I can figure out what’s wrong with the other one.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

One thing you can try is to squeeze the bulb in the top between your thumb and your forefinger. It will open up somewhat (you know when you are holding the bulb wrong.....it will not open up)and maybe you can see the tip of the sprout.

If you are impatient enough, you can squeeze the top, do not see anything and with a sharp knife cut off that part of the top whereby you can see no tip. Then repeat the process, until you are getting to the part of the bulb that bulges.....then you need to have patience.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.