Planting our Christmas Tree

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

We bought a live tree this year and it's in a five gallon pot. My question is, when is the best time to plant them after Christmas is over. The tree looks great and survived the lights and inside temps well. I have it outside now and I just want to make sure it lasts till I get it planted. I don't recall the species other then it's a pine of some sort. Great gardener, Huh? Can someone let me know what I should to with our tree?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You can plant it now, or if you care for it properly, leave it in its pot and plant it later, depending on the root system. (Are the roots coming out the bottom of the container yet? If so, best to plant it now. )

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Mine (bought last year, a dwarf weeping Norwy Spruce) was in a 2 gal. pot, which I took outside after Christmas 2002 in my zone 6b-7 within a week after Christmas. It did well, and put on lovely new growth in spring.

I repotted it into a 5 gal. pot in late spring, and 3 weeks ago, brought it into the basement, a compromise between freezing nights and a warm house. We brought it upstairs on Dec. 24, decorated it, and took it down today... returning it to the yard.

I saw only a few dropped needles, and it will not quite freeze tonight, so I think it will acclimate before the next freezing night.

Since you are much warmer, I'd be sure to monitor it outside for moisture until you get it planted.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will probably wait till spring as I don't see any roots coming out the bottom.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

We have bought a live tree for the last four years and they have done very well with us planting them here in Zone 6 if we get them into the ground asap after Christmas. The grower told us that they will dry out too much if we wait till spring and that the roots will have a head start by planting them now because they won't have newly scarred root tips later. Our new Oriental pine has now been planted and so far is doing well. The grower also recommended a root stimulator for a few waterings in the spring.

We just planted 9 Austrian pines; $48.00 trees that we got for a penny each.
Actually now is a good time to plant trees and shrubs so that the root system can start getting established before it gets too hot. Our trees where in 5 gal containers as well; even tho there wasn't many roots coming out the bottom, they where really root bound; roots wrapped tightly around the inside of the pot.
Mix some landscape mix with some top soil to help give the trees a good start. I also sprinkled alittle Epsom salts in with the dirt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.