beans

Enkoping, Sweden

Hi friends
Next season I will try to grow moore of climbing beans do you have any suggestions what kind I can grow in our short season area I want green,yellow and purple beans that are tender,slim and not too long and I prefer if they are round shaped.I think you call them pole,string or frensh beans that you eat the entire pod.I plan to grow about 3000 plants so I need to buy them in bulk.

Roger

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Roger, as a general rule, bush (dwarf) varieties of Phaseolus vulgaris come in quicker than do pole types.

Depending on variety, we're looking at 45 to 65 days, on aveage, for the bush types.

The bush beans are determinent, and come in more or less all at once. This is called a flush. Most types have two or more flushes, with each one producing fewer beans.

Pole types are inderterminate. They flower and fruit later, but, so long as you keep them picked, continue bearing at least until frost.

So, with a short growing season, it might make more sense for you to go with bush varieties. If you succession plant them---say, at two week intervals---they'll produce over the length of your season.

Also, despite the widespread American belief otherwise, beans can be pre-started and transplanted with no ill effects. So that's a way of extending your season by three to four weeks.

Enkoping, Sweden

Brook,I know all this BUT as I grow older I have moore difficultes to pick those low beans and I have some kinds that are ready in time but many of them are flat and some has strings and are too woody.Our season are not so short that I cant get a big harvest from beans that climbes.What I ment is that I cant grow beans that are ment only for long and hot areas.I always start my beans indoors in plugs and plant them out into black ground plastic to prevent weeds.

Roger

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Sorry I misunderstood, Roger. And I know _exactly_ what you mean about getting too old to pick bush beans.

At a guess, I'd say that any of the varieties with the word "cornfield" in them may be what you're looking for. Most of them are originally Germanic in origin.

Also, what about the French filet types?

In my experience, the Romano types are more cold tolerant, and will actually handle a couple of light frosts quite well. But those are flat, rather than round.

Of those varieties I've grown, I'd say that Striped Bunch is the ideal choice for you. It's a short vine (about 5 feet is all), starts to bear about mid-summer down here, and survives light frosts very well. The down side: There's no commercial source. But contact me off-list about getting some seed.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Purple podded pole beans are a favorite here. Starts coming in around 60-65 days. Also Blue Lake pole comes in around 60 days. (I should have plenty of seeds of both kinds if you need some, Roger.)

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

Roger, there is supposed to be a pole bean that isnt stringy. I dont know what it is called but would love to hear from someone that doesn know something about it. Robbie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Both of those I mentioned are stringless, Robbie.

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

Horseshoe, i would love to have some seed if you have some available. I will send you an email. Thanks, Robbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.