opened today

Blenheim, New Zealand

Lets hope it's what I think it is G ruprechtii???

Thumbnail by bootandall
Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

it's from the pratense group for sure.

You gotta keep this forum alive throughout our winter.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Now, just what gorgeous thing is this??????? look at the azure blue-colour.....WOW!!! Elaine

could be a Geranium in the Geranium forum hehe

Blenheim, New Zealand

I,m not doing a very good job at keeping this forum going.Here's a pic of it with a pratense, although I still think it should show slightly more dark purple,although purple not quite the right colour either.

Thumbnail by bootandall
Blenheim, New Zealand

here's another pic

Thumbnail by bootandall
Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

That is a very large flower with very rounded petals. Ruprechtii should resemble a large species Pratense with pale lavender blue flowers. As Mark says there is obviously some pratense in it though.
Below is the only photo I could find of my Ruprechtii.

Thumbnail by psilo
Blenheim, New Zealand

Thanks Psilo, it does not look at all like yours, I wonder what it is. I grew it from seed in 95 from SRGC it had a tag back then,maybe I messed up with the original labels or the seeds were already crossed.I will save the seeds and see if they will grow the same,because when I think about it no seedling in the garden ever grew like it.

it must be a G himalayense or a cross with it

yes Mark the flower looks very like it doesnt it.

Blenheim, New Zealand

I will go with the G himalayense x, I spent some time on the Internet and see that they vary quite a bit .
No wonder I can't describe the colour it seems to change every day.Thanks Mark and Psilo

Thumbnail by bootandall

They dont really vary all that much or at least they shouldnt. The problem with looking at photos is that the blue can develop differently from camera to camera. The second problem is that not all Himalayense shown as this are correctly named.

I like the colour of yours. Is that colour true?and from that photo it certainly looks more like a himalayense to me.

Blenheim, New Zealand

back again. The colour is near enough to true, but the colour of each flower does change through the day.

Thumbnail by bootandall

those are lovely!! be sure to collect the seed if there is any after they have flowered!

Blenheim, New Zealand

picked a couple of petals, and took a pic inside. that colour is is very close when held up too the screen.

Thumbnail by bootandall
Blenheim, New Zealand

hi Psilo, I'm pleased to say they are setting seeds.

excellent!I'll be only too happy to trade if you are interested?

Blenheim, New Zealand

Psilo I'm interested, keeping in mind, the seed is just setting, and who knows with what.

all the better bootandall ;) !!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.