Echeveria pulvinata?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I've been calling this Echeveria pulvinata. Is that correct?

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli,
It's hard to say because of the size of the photo but from what I can see it looks like a good ID.
Here's a close-up of it.

http://www.cactus-succulents.com/echeveria_pulvinata.JPG

Ric

Yes, that is what it looks like.

Valley Village, CA

Kelii Whoops slow down. E. pulvinata I think not.

The name is descriptive of the leaves, which means pillow shaped. It is a sub-shrub with the leaves thickly felted usually SILVERY in colour but sometimes brownish with age. Leaves are obpvate, half aas wide aas long with a short tip. Red flowers in Spring.

NOW TRY THIS : Ech. x set-oliver E. harmsii X E setosa Walther This hyrid is near E. harmsii in habit, being sub-shrubby, differing in the more numerous flowers borne on each scape, a slightly smaller corolla and relatively narrower, more crowded. leaves with densse white hairs. The leaves are carried in loose rosettes, and are pubescent bright green in color with mARROON margins and tip, turning to mahogany brown in onder leaves.
Stout floweer scapes are formed from below the rosettes, erect, usually 2 or more and are sinple bifid recemes up to 40cm. tall, brown in colour and carrying bracts as large as and similar to the leaves. Several flowers nearly as large as thosse of E. harmsii are carried color scarlet red, the edges and tipo of each petal segment an apricot yellow. Flowers in November to January. Does this some more like it?

there is a cultivator E. pulvinats dv. 'Ruby' which it may look like this is paler in color than your plant, and not as pretty. Yours is wonderful to make wreaths with/ great for dishgardens, great in the garden this time of year for the color, great to give to children, it won't bite them, even the blind may enjoys this plant by the feel. Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli, I can't disagree or agree w/ either as it's, as I said, hard to see from the photo and Echeveria are not my thing.

Try to match up Norma's description and see how close you get.
Has it flowered? That is usually a GREAT tool for ID in most Succulents and Cactus especially the hybrids.

Great description Norma! What text do you use for ID?

Ric

Valley Village, CA

Ric, I using the only book that I know of that is written on the subject. ECHEVERIAS A GUIDE TO CULTIVATION AND IDENTIFICATION. L.Curruthers and R. Ginns 1974 There has been many more species discovered since it was written by the Huntington Gardens explorations into Mexico when it was permitted. Myron Kimnach etc. al brought in many new species which he still has. I have many of the species but few of the hybrids well enough ID to be sure which is which.
The hybridizer Dick Wright is a friend of mine and he came up with many. Dr. Harry Butterfield came up with many, as well as other well known hybridizers, Ed Hummel and several old timers from England such as Victer Reiter, F. Reinelt , J.A. van Breen Holland
Norma

Valley Village, CA

Ric I really like the story or history about each plant, I find that very interesting. When I get a story I write it down or voice record it and turn it into the Huntington Gardens. I have found a Aeonium story about 'Sunburst' 'Kiwi' Crested 'Sunburst' and several others, in writing, by the story teller. I think I just discovered a mystery about several Crassula by looking over old catalogues, serching into old memories, and putting two and two together and coming up with 3 he he
I have a Crassula that I still searching out a name, it is a hybrid. So I question all the 80 yr old collectors that I can find and pick their brain. So many of our old time collectors and hybridizers have died. Like Paul Hutchinson of Berkly. Many won't turn over their black books or records on their plants, I have a Sedum multiceps that I got from an elderly lady, she will lnot give me her black book which has the record of where she got this plant. We need to have location data so we can introduce it for an ISI plant. I believe they grow in Tunisia, and have been trying to have people get me one. With location data, I mayi even have to write to that Nations garden to obtain it. Norma

Norma, your description of my plant is vitually identical regarding the plant itself, but not so much the flowers. The flowers are a salmon or coral color, not scarlet, and it blooms in the spring. Exactly when, I don't remember, but it is not this time of year. Could it be that there are so many hybrids and/or cultivars of these guys that it is pretty much impossible to sort them all out? I don't remember where this plant came from.

The plant doesn't seem to have much of any cold tolerance. I gave some to someone in Tucson and they froze to death there.

I'll take a better picture that I'll post after I get this roll of film developed. We've got a couple plants in the yard and one in a pot that is a beautiful red color. (They're all from the same plant originally.)

Valley Village, CA

There is a picture of this plant in Succulents 11 by Mauriziio Sajeva. Pictures by Mariangela Costanzo, these pictures are not true to color. E. pulvinata being a very gray white.(mealy white) It show light green in the book which is inaccurate. I'm still looking for a better picture for the group, then I will try and send it. Tkhis book actually makes me cry. Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here is a picture taken at a really strange place in CA. LOL

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Crassulaceae/Echeveria_Set-Oliver.html

Ric

Valley Village, CA

You are so right the place is strange, but the color is at least correct. We consider that hybrid the better of the two. and yes it does turn that color, but that is an exceptionally good picture, taken by my boss. John Trager.
The green one is in new growth. I have never seen them that pale green, and we don't have them growing in the garden. We do grow both hybrids well.
I haven't seen the flowers on E. pulvinata yet. It really does not grow well here in Calif. It needs Mixico's heat. I just bought one today to replaced the one that I lost. The are not easy growers for us at all.

Valley Village, CA

Well I've been at it again, I got out my Huntington Book to see what is said about the plant.
E. pulvinata, sometimes called roseyi hen-and-chicks, is an almost shrubby species with sgems up ten inches tall. Leaves are about two inches long by one inch wide;though green, their dense covering of soft white hairs lends the plant a silvery appearance. Inflorescenes, up to a foot tall, branch horizontally and bear yellow to orange flowers half an inch long from winter to spring. Hybrids, such as the familiar,...................................

E. 'Pulv-Oliver' are popular with collectors and form durable garden plants. 'Pulv-Oliver', has fuzzy green leaves with red margins and stays compact in fulll sun; it is hardier than species of Echeverias, being reliable to the low 20s. Long lasting inflorescences of orange/red flowers are pleasant, though not dramatic.

Mine have been in flower most all of December. But I live in So. Calif. and in a protected valley 20 miles inland. If you found this plant at any garden center that is supplied by Alman Nursery or any other nursery in Calif. the name is never realiable. If you received it from a Succulent Club the name has a better chance of being accurate. My plant came from the Huntington Gardens. Mine was crested, it has died. I also grow it in full sun, and not shade which keeps it white.

Valley Village, CA

Kelii, me again, it's my fault, the one I thinking of is 'Frosty' I made the mistake, you are correct, I am wrong. I was explained that I brought it to John Trager with the wrong name, I also bought that plant from someplace else with the wrong name. You are correct, and I stand corrected. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.