Dutchman's Pipe Germination Instructions Needed

Louisville, KY

Someone gave me a few Dutchman's Pipe seed last spring; I carefully planted half of them and nothing happened. I still have a few and was wondering what I should do to get them to germinate. Anyone here had experience in growing them? Any help would be appreciated.
Gary/Louisville

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

The instructions I had said to plant them on top of the soil and keep moist. I covered the pot with seran wrap and it worked. When they had two true leaves, I transplanted them. Be patient. They don't come up quickly, but within about three weeks if I remember right.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I just started some myself. I did it the Deno way. It took about 3 weeks to sprout.

Mr. Stinky is getting ready to bloom ,just ran out and snaped this pic... I hope it sets seeds this time .
Gary , Wish I could add to the tips but this is my 1st year growing them and my starts came from Logee's .

Thumbnail by
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm getting ready to start mine in the next week or two. Burgie did you use any bottom heat? I've heard that this will help them to germinate....
Dee

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I think I did, but can't remember for sure. I'm guessing since they were in here on my plant table and that is where the heating mat is, that yes, they did have bottom heat, but it wouldn't have been over 75 degrees.

Louisville, KY

A Brief search on Google led me to this information.

Aristolochia tomentosa
Dutchman's pipe
(1 Page of 7)

Cultivation | Propagation | General Info
Medicinal | Edible Uses | Flowers & Foliage | Landscaping

Latin Name: Aristolochia tomentosa
Common Name: Dutchman's pipe
Family: Aristolochiaceae(Click to Search)
Author: Sims.

Known Hazards: We have no specific details for this species but most members of this genus have poisonous roots and stems[179]. The plant contains aristolochic acid, this has received rather mixed reports on its toxicity. According to one report aristolochic acid stimulates white blood cell activity and speeds the healing of wounds, but is also carcinogenic and damaging to the kidneys[254]. Another report says that it is an active antitumour agent but is too toxic for clinical use[218]. Another report says that aristolochic acid has anti-cancer properties and can be used in conjunction with chemotherapy and radiotherapy and that it also increases the cellular immunity and phagocytosis function of the phagocytic cells[176].

Habitat: Moist woods[200] along rich river banks[222].
Mature Height: 10
Mature Width: 1
Habit: Perennial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Propagation Notes: Seed - best sown in a greenhouse as soon as it is ripe in the autumn. Pre-soak stored seed for 48 hours in hand-hot water and surface sow in a greenhouse[134]. Germination usually takes place within 1 - 3 months at 20°c[134]. Stored seed germinates better if it is given 3 months cold stratification at 5°c[200]. When large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in the greenhouse for their first winter. Plant out in late spring or early summer after the last expected frosts. Division in autumn[200]. Root cuttings in winter[200].

-----------------------------------------------------------

Louisville, KY

emilycompost.com
Plants

Aristolochia littoralis (elegans)
(a-ris-to-LO-chi-a)
Dutchman's Pipe or Calico Flower
ARISTOLOCHIACEAE

An unusual vigorous climber which bears pipe-shaped flowers, it will cover an arbor or pergola in one season. Butterflies love the flowers. They bloom in the summer and in the fall. The leaves are heart shaped. The plant grows mostly in moist woodlands and in temperate and tropical climates.

They are wonderful for screening, but, they have some smell.

The plant will grow in well drained, good soil, in some or partial shade. It will grow 25 - 30 feet in height.

Propagation may be done by seed of the more hardy species as soon as they are ripe, or in the spring. As it is a perennial, you may divide in the spring, or root cutting in the winter. Some success has been shown with softwood cuttings propagation in the greenhouse.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Some questions from Emily's mailbox:

Q: I have a question about the Dutchman's pipe vine I just bought 2 weeks ago. It is turning brown on the new growth and I am wondering what is causing this phenomenon. It is planted where it receives the northwest sun. Could I be watering it too much in this hot weather?

A: Although, all plants need sun for flowering, this plant needs some shade in the summer. The northwest sun for the most part does not appear to be that hot, however the stress and strain of planting it so late in the season may have something to do with it.

However, this is a pretty hardy vine. Growing to 20-30 feet. It will crowd out other plants as it matures. It also will tolerate a large variety of soil types, so I doubt that is your problem either.

Pinch off the brown leaves.

Mulch well to protect the moisture content and check the soil for wetness.

Q: I just purchased two Dutchman's Pipes to create a visual screen along a chain link fence. Will this plant spread laterally when there is nothing else to climb? Also, how do a protect it from Ontario winters (Zone 5).

A: Yes. It will go a little lateral and just keep climbing.

It, of course, will die back for the winter months, but mulch it well. The snow should also give some insulation. You can try and take a cutting softwood), root cuttings and division. Also, collect the seeds. They may be stratified as soon as ripe or kept in the refrigerator (cool dry place) for about a year.

Q: I have a question about the Dutchman's pipe vine I just bought 2 weeks ago. It is turning brown on the new growth and I am wondering what is causing this phenomenon. It is planted where it receives the northwest sun. Could I be watering it too much in this hot weather?

Q: Just "hit" your site from a search for "Dutchman's pipe" on Yahoo - great info. thanks!!

I'm up in Ontario, Canada and we've just moved into an old farmhouse that has a tremendous "Dutchman's pipe" vine growing along the side of the house. The stalks on this thing are ancient! I experienced the large heart shape leaves in August, but no flowers.

In speaking with the recent owners, I am told this darn thing has not bloomed in the 50 yrs the wife has resided here!

We've sparsely trimmed the dead vines and new growth is appearing, so it is a healthy plant.

I'm wondering about fertilizer? We have a cattle farm, would manure work well? Perhaps the soil needs some regeneration? Can you offer any tips - although I'd just learned the flowers smell and attract flies, I'd be forever grateful to get this thing in bloom!

A: Yes, manure would be very good for your Dutchman's pipe. However, I would use it as a 'tea' place some patotties in an old cloth sack (pillow-case or burlap sack) and then in a bucket of water for a couple of days. This will saturate the water with some good fertilizer.

Then add once again the amount of water you are working with. Use this to fertilize your vine.

It is better to use a weak version of the tea as to not burn the roots of the plant.

You probably could top dress the plant area with some composted material.

Commercial fertilizers with a high middle number is what helps bring on the blooms, that too might work.

Reader Comment: Good Day I have a beautiful Dutchman's Pipe. I have hundreds of butterflies, (Polydamas) they never stop laying eggs. I also have many seed pods. I have read many time of the foul odor they give off. I too have smelled this odor on other Dutchman's Pipes, but not mine. My flowers smell of lemons. It is very pleasant to set under my arbor when the plant is in full bloom. It blooms often. Have a nice day.

Q: I found your site while searching for information on the Dutchman's Pipe, a plant I was SURE I wanted to plant on the side of my porch until I read your info on the smell and the flies! Can you suggest another vine that would be a good substitute? I want a vine that will grow VERY quickly and essentially form a wall (with the help of a trellis) to block unsightly neighbors and provide morning shade for the porch. The area would be getting morning sun, as it faces east. Also, this area has moderate shade and we are right on the border of zones 7 and 8. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

A: If you were thinking of a Dutchman's Pipe for a screening vine plant you are probably thinking of a more permanent plant screen. However, the Dutchman's Pipe will die back for the winter season.

Might I suggest something like a Carolina jasmine, or a confederate jasmine. Even a trumpet vine would be nice Both will provide a thicket, a wonderful smell, and nice little flowers for your pleasure. This will also attract hummingbirds and butterflies. You may have to trim now and them to control the future growth.

You can also supplement with an annual vine such as moon vine/morning glory/hyacinth bean. All of which grow very quickly for the spring and summer season.

Q: We live in North Central Iowa. Could you suggest a resource where we could obtain Dutchmen's pipe flower vine / Dutchmen's breeches / lady's slipper (plants or seeds) to start one (some)? We are also interested in locating a Dutchmen's Breeches plant and a Lady's Slipper plant.

A: I can give you a reference of :

White Flower Farm www.whiteflowerfarm.com

Wayside Gardens www.waysidegardens.com

Maybe Park Seed www.parkseed.com

Possibility:

Plantdelight Nursery, INC this is a Nursery in Raleigh NC. (919) 772 4794 or e-mail : office@plantdel.com

Burpee www.burpee.com

Q: I have two Dutchman's pipe plants, One of them has a seed pod. My question is when do I pick the pod and how do I get some of the seeds inside to grow. I tried to sprout some seeds last year but no luck.

A: Seed pods should be harvested when they are mature. This is when the pod is probably brown and crunchy in form. It may start to open on its own to disperse the seeds. . In the A-Z reference it suggests one should sow the seed of hardy species at 55-61 degrees F. and more tender species at 70-75 degrees F. as soon as the seed is ripe or in the spring. Other ways to propagate this plant is to take cuttings of softwood in early spring, if it is a hardy species take cuttings in mid-summer. You can divide the plant in the early spring or take root cuttings thru for the winter.

Q: I love the look of Dutchman's Pipe and want to cover an archway with it, but am leery because I have heard of the bad smell. Can you answer the following questions, please?

1. How far a distance would you say the smell would travel? The arch is about 30 ft from our deck.

2. Is the smell from the leaves? Or only the flowers? If the latter, how long is it in bloom?

3. I have also heard they attract flies. This could be a good thing, as it would keep them away from the deck. However, does it attract flied to the extent that someone walking through the arch would be walking through a bunch of flies?

4. If I do plant it and then hate it, is it really difficult to get rid of?

5. Can it survive in clay soil?

A: The smell of the Dutchman's pipe will depend on the gentle winds and air movement. I could not guess how far the scent will travel.

I do not believe the smell is from the leaves. However, some Dutchman's pipe have a very unpleasant smell.

Blooms last for a very long time. I originally saw this plant grown on a butterfly farm, where this potted plant material was moved in and out of the cages for the butterflies to lay their eggs.

Yes, they do attract flies because of their scent.

It should not be difficult to get rid of it if you decide you don't like it. Most varieties grow rapidly and will cover an arbor in one complete season.......

The soil requirement is a fertile one, I would add a lot of organic material to the clay soil because it does require good drainage and clay does not provide that.. Permalite is a commercial product you might find in your local stores. I also recommended you fertilize once a month.

Mr. Stinky is at it big time : ) was worried that the last cold snap here would be it's end but here he is !

Thumbnail by
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Stinky or not He's beautiful John

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

wow..
looks like a really huge flower ya got there, Brugmania
i'm getting some dutchman's pipe seeds from dogbane
i hope mine get that big and pretty! :)
do they really stink as much as i've heard?
or do people exaggerate their smell?

Kim

miss_kitty, This one is pretty big (Grandiflora) I have 5 types and only two smell bad with this one takeing 1st prize! The smell stays in the flower so if you just keep your nose out of it all's well !

Thumbnail by

Gary, Looks like I'm going to find out about starting seeds myself as the vine is setting pods for the 1st time right now: )

Thumbnail by
Louisville, KY

That's really neat! I can hardly wait until springtime...and our weather is getting colder this week. Maybe I will come south to Florida. LOL
Gary

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

coolness!
i think the variety i'm getting is "Aristolochia durior"
i dont think the smell will really bother me much..
i'm probably gonna just plant them along the back fence where we can see them and appreciate them from a distance and only be subject to the odor voluntarily :)

Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.