Running Pop, Love-In-A-Mist, Stinking Passion Flower (Passiflora foetida)

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Hi Hazel:

What an interesting plant! Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a nice holiday season!!!

Gretchen

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi, Gretchen. I'm drying seeds from this vine if you want some. My whole dining room table is covered with seed envelops to send out. Hopefully, I can do this today. Congratulations on winning awards for your great photos. I finally found where to find the contest results. I wish I had known where and when to vote because I would have certainly castsome votesyour way.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

I can see how this shares the name "Love in a Mist" with Nigella...the bracts or sepals curl up around the developing seed pod. This red pod is much more attractive than the native Passiflora we have here. I would ask for some seed but doubt they would be hardy here.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I can send you some seed after I gather and dry them. You never know ... they might grow. This one is a native here. The pods really stand out; whereas, the blooms are quite pale in comparison to other Passiflora.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks, htop. Maybe we can send each other several things in one shipment next spring. It won't cost any more than sending one thing probably. I will try to send you a list someday of the things I have that you might want cuttings from.
Susan

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That is a cool looking pod. Will have to look this one up. Thanks.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Susan, that sounds like a great idea.

Hazel: Thank you! That's very sweet, but I must confess that I was shocked when I learned that two pics had won... Yes, I would love some seeds. Should I send you an SASE? Pretty sure I still have your addy close by. Gretchen

PS: Have you started any of the Zexmenia? I had six of them growing and then left town for ten days overy TG. The gal that was supposed to take care of the GH didn't... The rest is of course history :(

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Gretchen, I am waiting until spring to start the Zexmenia because I don't have a GH. I am having to drag plants in and out of the house with the freezes coming frequently. I will send you some seeds after they dry and there is no need for a SASE. You will be receiving a Christmas present which I mailed today with several little goodies in it.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Brugie, it can be seen from quite a distance because it is such a great red. Thanks for your comments.

Hazel:

Bless your heart -- you certainly should not've sent me anything though... Thank you, and may you be blessed with a wonderful, safe and joyous holiday season!

Gretchen

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Gretchen, I sent you different kinds of seeds. What they are I will let you guess. If you don't want or need them perhaps someone else might. Living "up the road" from me made it easy to send seeds from plants I know grow here.

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

'Little Shop of Horrors' is nothing compared to this!

Again, bless you! I will love them all!!! Thank you so very much for your thoughtfulness, though not necessary, very much appreciated!!! On another note: Do you grow brugs? I have caught that fever in a big way...

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Gretchen, I do not grow brugs, but they are great.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Ulrich, you have found it to be invasive, huh.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Gretchen, I am sorry about your GH disaster. If I don't bring my plants in now, The will be a disaster after the freeze tonight. I had just put them all back out to be watered and to get some sun.

Thanks Hazel...Oh well, there's always Spring! Luckily all the large, established plants survived. Believe me I know what a pain it is to move them in and out. Last year my husband was going through chemo and the subsequent Bone Marrow Tranplant, so nothing that wasn't already "in" the house could come in. Thankfully with all the plants on the porch under sheets, they survived. This morning though, its only 18 degrees here! I sure hope my garden survives this!!! Hope you have a great day!!! Gretchen

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, it was a cold night. Most of the plants that are in the ground here will come back if they freeze to the ground. I have a large assortment of container plants that will survive also. But many of my container plants have to be protected.

Hazel: Thank you -- I received the seeds today. Posted a note and picture in the mail call forum. That was so very sweet of you, and totally unexpected! Bless your heart!!!
Hugs,
Gretchen

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Gretchen, posting the note and picture in the mail call forum was very thoughtful. I had never visited the mail call forum before. DG is such a wonderful site with great forums. I really needed some hugs today ... thanks for everything.
Hazel

Thank you, Hazel! Merry Christmas and god Bless You! Gretchen

Abilene, TX

i know i'm a lil late to the scene, but i never knew these plants had fruit. Ive found them growing wild in texas and arkansas but evidently since the flowers were dark purple and very fragrant (i call the smell "granma's perfume" *smile*).

But what I really want to know is if these fruits are edible, or medicinal, or have any such value at all. Certainly just the beauty is motive enough to grow them, but I'd like to know if any of you have any knowledge on their nutritional/medicinal value.

thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.