Purple Coral Pea, Vine Lilac (Hardenbergia violacea)

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Purple Coral Pea, Vine Lilac
Hardenbergia violacea

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Clare, Do you have any seed for this plant?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That is a cool looking vine. You must have a lot of room where you live. Just love all these plants you are posting picture of.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Shirley, There is a white version of this plant to. I have some seed for the white and would like to have the lilac also.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Have you grown them from seed before Busybee? White and purple would look great together.

Hi Busybee and Shirley,
This is the first year that I've grown this Hardenbergia vine. It's called, "Happy Wanderer." I bought two vines around this time last year from Home Depot when they were in bloom. I didn't get any seeds from either of them though, and I have not had any luck propagating this vine from cuttings, but I'm going to try again in the spring. Perhaps I will have been luck using the layering method. Both vines are now covered in long threads of flower buds and are about to bloom. I will post another picture when they are in full bloom. I didn't know that there was a white-flowered variety, but I've heard that there is a pink-flowered variety too. Shirley, LOL! I am so envious of anyone who owns a home and has some acreage to plant on! We rent here, and I have very little area to plant. Most of the landscape has been planted already and is quite crowded! I did put these vines in the ground where I found a spot, but most of my plants are in containers, and I don't have much room in my garden to walk! Thanks for your kind words about my garden:-) Busybee, I will look for seeds after the flowering period is over and will let you know if I find some.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Shirley, I haven`t planted the seed yet. They were sent to me from a inquiry sometime last year. I plan on starting some of them as soon as I can which will probably be around the end of Feb.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Good luck with them. I'll be interested in hearing how they do and how long to bloom.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Clare, is this the vine they call harbinger of spring? It gets covered in thin, small racemes of flowers early in the spring and only flowers then.

What are your temps where you live? It seems early for it to be budded right now.
thanks

Hi Kell, I don't this is called the Harbinger of spring. It's common name is Lilac Vine, and it is part of the Leguminosae Family. It flowers only in late winter to early spring. It is completely covered in buds right now. I will take a picture as soon as it starts to show some color. I'm already starting to see a hint of purple. Temps are in the 40's at night and in the 60's/70's during the day. Logee's has this for sale if you guys are interested: http://www.logees.com/store/

Edited to say that Logee's must be out right now because I didn't see it listed.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2003 12:40 PM

CHARITON, IA(Zone 5a)

I love the bloom of this vine and the color also. Reminds me of the color of my hycinth bean vine.

Thanks Iowagal! Here's a link about the vine for anyone who is interested: http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/h-viol.html

My vines are starting to show some color. It won't be long now!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

WOW, that's going to be gorgeous. Full sun I guess.

Ihughes,
Thanks! Yes, but surprisingly this area gets a lot of shade because it is against a wall so in the winter it only gets sun at the top of the vine. As you can see, it has a lot of filling out to do. The Hardenbergia vines are also combined with Pandorea jasminoides, Pink Bower Vine, which I grew from seed.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Here's another close-up, taken yesterday:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I will be watching for some more photos. I hope they are heavy with blooms. It is a very beautiful vine.

Thanks, busybee! My Passiflora Amethystina hybrid is starting to creep in and combine with those vines too, but I think the color will blend in nicely, and when the Hardenbergia is flowering, the Passiflora won't be and vice versa.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Some color is starting to show. It won't be long now until it is in full bloom.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

still waiting.

LOL, Busybee. I won't keep you waiting too long. Since these vines are winter bloomers, it looks like it will be some time in January until it is in full bloom. Did you see the pictures at Plant Database of the other Hardenbergias? Here's the link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2235/Purple+Coral+Pea%2C+Vine+Lilac_Hardenbergia_violacea.html

Open, open, open

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes, I think the pink is beautiful too.

Almost full bloom:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

More color today:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Post a Reply to this Thread